Maestronet Forums

shrinking tenor viola

avandesande

I am looking into possible building Andrea Guarneri viola, I don't have access to the ‘Conte Vitale’ Andrea Guarneri viola poster but there is a 48cm tenor in luthier library.  The outline looks pretty much the same, but I am not sure if I can shrink the other dimensions the same amount (about 85%).  Could someone supply a few dimensions for rib height, arching height and thickness? Hopefully I can extrapolate the other measurements.

Thanks!

Rib dimensions are given as 38mm at endpin, 35.5mm at neck.
Aching height is 19.8mm for the belly and 19mm for the back.

Seems you won't be making a conte vitale, if you are shrinking it, so I don't know how the measurements will even help. I don't believe violas fit the scale model theory.

9 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

Rib dimensions are given as 38mm at endpin, 35.5mm at neck.
Aching height is 19.8mm for the belly and 19mm for the back.

Seems you won't be making a conte vitale, if you are shrinking it, so I don't know how the measurements will even help. I don't believe violas fit the scale model theory.

Thanks, for sure I will just call in 'Guarneri Inspired'.

The tenor is 45.0 button, 40.9 neck so it looks like ribs follow the 85% rule

But arching is 21.4 front, 20.45 back so it looks like a different factor

The belly thickness is really strange 3.8 in the c bouts and actually thicker in lower bout 4.2

The back is a little more what you would expect 6ish in c-bouts and 3 in the upper/lower bouts

On 5/18/2021 at 3:04 PM, avandesande said:

I am looking into possible building Andrea Guarneri viola, I don't have access to the ‘Conte Vitale’ Andrea Guarneri viola poster but there is a 48cm tenor in luthier library.  The outline looks pretty much the same, but I am not sure if I can shrink the other dimensions the same amount (about 85%).  Could someone supply a few dimensions for rib height, arching height and thickness? Hopefully I can extrapolate the other measurements.

Thanks!

I'll tell ya, my 45.1 cm tenor viola is plenty big and has a distinctive and lovely tenore sound..  It's modeled after the Ashmolean's 1592 Amati.

Careful building too gigantic.

On 5/18/2021 at 3:04 PM, avandesande said:

Thanks!

The shape of a viola can be approximated by a circular disk which has a fundamental mode frequency f  proportional to its thickness t divided the radius R squared:

f ~t/R^2

This can be rearranged to show the the thickness t is proportional to the frequency f times radius R squared:

t~f R^2

So if you want to keep the same mode frequency to keep the same sound character of the Quarneri viola the thickness of your 85% smaller viola should be reduced by about 0.85^2 or 0.72 or 72%.

This assumes the wood has the same speed of sound which never happens.

On 5/20/2021 at 7:26 PM, avandesande said:

Thanks, for sure I will just call in 'Guarneri Inspired'.

The tenor is 45.0 button, 40.9 neck so it looks like ribs follow the 85% rule

But arching is 21.4 front, 20.45 back so it looks like a different factor

The belly thickness is really strange 3.8 in the c bouts and actually thicker in lower bout 4.2

The back is a little more what you would expect 6ish in c-bouts and 3 in the upper/lower bouts

When you reduce the size, I think you should be more concerned in the width of the Cs and the height of the top arching which are among the most responsible for the playability for a correct bow action.
And the stop length > string length, of course

7 hours ago, Marty Kasprzyk said:

So if you want to keep the same mode frequency to keep the same sound character of the Quarneri viola the thickness of your 85% smaller viola should be reduced by about 0.85^2 or 0.72 or 72%.

Isn't that a bit much ?