Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

Lake of cochineal is violet; I've been lied to


Deo Lawson
 Share

Recommended Posts

If washing the lake does not work, then the problem is likely due to a contaminant.  The OP does not appear to have great chemistry skills.  There is not a lot that we can do to help him.  I suggest that he purchase the stuff from Kremer.  

For your general information, all fats and oils are organic acids.  The measurement of pH is meaningless for this situation since they are not soluble in water until you react them with something like sodium hydroxide--then you make a soap.  

The attempt to finish a musical instrument is filled with chemistry issues.  And from my observation on this website, most of you have never taken a high school chemistry course.   This presents a real problem for success.

The products that everyone wants to use are those of Koen Padding, but he died without leaving a recipe book.  Thanks to a few of his friends, we have figured out a couple of his recipes.  Hargrave and Michetschlager have contributed to our present understanding.

The power of the modern pigments is that they are color-fast and often more transparent.  Chocineal lakes, Madder lakes and even of some of the varnishes (mediums) such as megilp are unstable.  It is a mystery why people are attracted to this stuff that fails the test of time because it is going to eventually fail for them, too.  It would be nice to know what the original varnish looked like.

Mike D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You miss the fact that some of us don't care what is efficient and modern. I do this for the novelty and fun of using historical methods (and the necessity of whatever instrument I don't feel like buying) :)

 

Anyhow, diy is still cheaper than kremer...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Mike_Danielson said:

...

The power of the modern pigments is that they are color-fast and often more transparent.  Chocineal lakes, Madder lakes and even of some of the varnishes (mediums) such as megilp are unstable.  It is a mystery why people are attracted to this stuff that fails the test of time because it is going to eventually fail for them, too.  It would be nice to know what the original varnish looked like.

Mike D

Well said, Mike. Yesterday I wrote a long opinion on this very issue of using fugitive materials. I was even recommending modern substitutes but realized that no one is interested.  (Notice how my previous post’s question about using modern pigments was largely met with crickets.) I understand that most makers think that new pigments cannot match the original colors. Not true. So, I deleted it and moved on. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Deo Lawson said:

You miss the fact that some of us don't care what is efficient and modern...

Trying to hang with you guys I have a question - were you thinking that you would have a madder red or brown when you were finished thus needing nothing else or were you not thinking that far ahead yet?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Deo Lawson said:

You miss the fact that some of us don't care what is efficient and modern. I do this for the novelty and fun of using historical methods (and the necessity of whatever instrument I don't feel like buying) :)

 

Anyhow, diy is still cheaper than kremer...

Snark Alert:

Does that mean that it is cheaper to do it wrong?

Mike D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/26/2021 at 11:39 AM, fiddlecollector said:

Hi, There are examples of Mexican cochineal in Turkmen textiles as far back as the 16th century , it became pretty common in usage by the 17th century.  They probably had access to Armenian, Arrarat ,Polish  etc.. cochineal before that.

According to the most important recent research on the use of cochineal in Turkmen weavings, Jürg Rageth's Turkmen Carpets: A New Perspective (2016), you are correct about Mexican cochineal showing up (rare in extremely rare weavings to begin with...) in 16th c. weavings.  I had not realized that it had made such an early appearance, until I went back into that source just now.  However, but you seriously overstate the evidence to say "it became pretty common usage by the 17th century." Rageth (p. 318-9) states--"Until the 18th century, the dyestuff was used very carefully and in small amounts, sometimes even in only a few knots."  Rageth goes on to point out that Armenian cochineal and kermes have not been found in any Turkmen weavings.  Lac was the main insect dye they used, as I said, and its use on wool continued, even when small amounts of Mexican cochineal-dyed silk were introduced among the Salor Turkmen.  In the later 19th century, just before synthetic dyes became widely available, there was an expansion in the use of Mexican cochineal-dyed wool among the Turkmen, as I described, apparently because it became much less expensive.  The piece I showed was woven by the Tekke Turkmen who in fact did not use cochineal-dyed wool so lavishly until it became cheaper in the second half of the 19th century, which was the point I tried to make, albeit clumsily.  Mea culpa. 

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ina-Vanden-Berghe/publication/316213342_The_Identification_of_Cochineal_Species_in_Turkmen_Weavings_A_Special_Challenge_in_the_Field_of_Dye_Analysis/links/597f09590f7e9b8802eba66b/The-Identification-of-Cochineal-Species-in-Turkmen-Weavings-A-Special-Challenge-in-the-Field-of-Dye-Analysis.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, palousian said:

According to the most important recent research on the use of cochineal in Turkmen weavings, Jürg Rageth's Turkmen Carpets: A New Perspective (2016), you are correct about Mexican cochineal showing up (rare in extremely rare weavings to begin with...) in 16th c. weavings.  I had not realized that it had made such an early appearance, until I went back into that source just now.  However, but you seriously overstate the evidence to say "it became pretty common usage by the 17th century." Rageth (p. 318-9) states--"Until the 18th century, the dyestuff was used very carefully and in small amounts, sometimes even in only a few knots."  Rageth goes on to point out that Armenian cochineal and kermes have not been found in any Turkmen weavings.  Lac was the main insect dye they used, as I said, and its use on wool continued, even when small amounts of Mexican cochineal-dyed silk were introduced among the Salor Turkmen.  In the later 19th century, just before synthetic dyes became widely available, there was an expansion in the use of Mexican cochineal-dyed wool among the Turkmen, as I described, apparently because it became much less expensive.  The piece I showed was woven by the Tekke Turkmen who in fact did not use cochineal-dyed wool so lavishly until it became cheaper in the second half of the 19th century, which was the point I tried to make, albeit clumsily.  Mea culpa. 

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ina-Vanden-Berghe/publication/316213342_The_Identification_of_Cochineal_Species_in_Turkmen_Weavings_A_Special_Challenge_in_the_Field_of_Dye_Analysis/links/597f09590f7e9b8802eba66b/The-Identification-of-Cochineal-Species-in-Turkmen-Weavings-A-Special-Challenge-in-the-Field-of-Dye-Analysis.pdf

You probably know far more than me about Turkmen rugs/textiles,etc... I was just making the point that it was available relatively early on. I maybe should have said that it was commonly available if you could afford to purchase the pre dyed wool/silk or the actual dyestuff !:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2021 at 1:23 AM, palousian said:

According to the most important recent research on the use of cochineal in Turkmen weavings, Jürg Rageth's Turkmen Carpets: A New Perspective (2016), you are correct about Mexican cochineal showing up (rare in extremely rare weavings to begin with...) in 16th c. weavings.  I had not realized that it had made such an early appearance, until I went back into that source just now.  However, but you seriously overstate the evidence to say "it became pretty common usage by the 17th century." Rageth (p. 318-9) states--"Until the 18th century, the dyestuff was used very carefully and in small amounts, sometimes even in only a few knots."  Rageth goes on to point out that Armenian cochineal and kermes have not been found in any Turkmen weavings.  Lac was the main insect dye they used, as I said, and its use on wool continued, even when small amounts of Mexican cochineal-dyed silk were introduced among the Salor Turkmen.  In the later 19th century, just before synthetic dyes became widely available, there was an expansion in the use of Mexican cochineal-dyed wool among the Turkmen, as I described, apparently because it became much less expensive.  The piece I showed was woven by the Tekke Turkmen who in fact did not use cochineal-dyed wool so lavishly until it became cheaper in the second half of the 19th century, which was the point I tried to make, albeit clumsily.  Mea culpa. 

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ina-Vanden-Berghe/publication/316213342_The_Identification_of_Cochineal_Species_in_Turkmen_Weavings_A_Special_Challenge_in_the_Field_of_Dye_Analysis/links/597f09590f7e9b8802eba66b/The-Identification-of-Cochineal-Species-in-Turkmen-Weavings-A-Special-Challenge-in-the-Field-of-Dye-Analysis.pdf

Did you read my article in The Strad?

Scarlet Fever.  September 2018

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, joerobson said:

Did you read my article in The Strad?

Scarlet Fever.  September 2018

Alas, I am not a subscriber, but this sounds like a really interesting article (is there a link that a civilian could use?).  I suppose that the use of these dyestuffs in varnish is really an entirely different rabbit hole from the equally-vast field of antique-textile-dyeing, but I thought it was an interesting connection.  Apologies for my detour, if it was annoying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, palousian said:

Alas, I am not a subscriber, but this sounds like a really interesting article (is there a link that a civilian could use?).  I suppose that the use of these dyestuffs in varnish is really an entirely different rabbit hole from the equally-vast field of antique-textile-dyeing, but I thought it was an interesting connection.  Apologies for my detour, if it was annoying.

Not at all...I did much research in the dye trade as I developed the Cochineal Varnish.

I'll see if the Strad will provide a link.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...