Maestronet Forums

4 month update - Varnish touched up!

milkpowder

In January, I posted a thread asking for your opinion about re-touching the varnish on my violin, and thanks to your advice and recommendation (cheers Jeff), I have received my violin back from the restorer. I thought I'd show you her handiwork as I think it's a job well done!

The problem areas were essentially where you'd expect wear and tear from playing - the treble side upper ribs and edges had little to no varnish remaining, and the top and bottom corners sustained a chips from my careless bowing. The varnish was retouched and the tip of the bottom corner replaced as it already had a previous cap on it. We decided not to replace the top corner so as to preserve the original wood so it was retouched.

It was also noted that under UV the varnish appeared to be all original, with the exception of a rather heavy handed retouch on the treble side upper ribs so this was removed.

All in all, fairly trivial work for a skilled restorer, but I'm really pleased with the result.

JON_7903-1080p.thumb.jpg.c8af4fd4a69b5b6fac77957a6d2b0ed3.jpgJON_7932-1080p.thumb.jpg.a32a679fc89b5cf285865e04ba18d054.jpgJON_7914-1080p.thumb.jpg.df4ccd3a9aa8fe3ff13d1fcacdfa5861.jpg

JON_7920-1080p.thumb.jpg.a86e0604533b72efad48129763469fd3.jpgJON_7927-1080p.thumb.jpg.4b0d7ef7dbcec860dd6c87e3f4e2f19e.jpgJON_7925-1080p.thumb.jpg.ef5ae9619da0813f3664aa4e88b72018.jpg

Edited by milkpowder

• milkpowder changed the title to 4 month update - Varnish touched up!

"It was also noted that under UV the varnish appeared to be all original, with the exception of a rather heavy handed retouch on the treble side upper ribs so this was removed."

That area looks much much better! Got rid of that heavy red stuff.

2 hours ago, David Burgess said:

"It was also noted that under UV the varnish appeared to be all original, with the exception of a rather heavy handed retouch on the treble side upper ribs so this was removed."

That area looks much much better! Got rid of that heavy red stuff.

Indeed! I've had the violin for so long that I'd gotten used to it. Quite refreshing now that it has been removed.

2 hours ago, Shelbow said:

Nice instrument, do you have any pictures of the scroll?

Here is a photo taken with the last set back in January. I believe it's not original to the violin.

Wonder if you or anybody has any thoughts on who may be the most likely maker of the violin. It's been attributed to BS Fendt for the last few decades, but recently felt to be more likely a R Tobin. Someone English 1820/30s, possibly related or traced back to Betts! I welcome any advances!

DSC_0249-1440p.thumb.jpg.a58dbb1c3ce88348755b6faa02ad819c.jpg