Maestronet Forums

Violin Identification

LilHobbit

16 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

It does have a crack though, going from the treble end of the saddle in the direction of the sound post. I would wonder if it has corner blocks, and if so from what material (pine, lime etc.)

So you do believe it's a crack rather than just a good size scratch?  I was afraid to press down on it any further as I didn't want to cause any additional damage.  As far as corner blocks, I have no idea as there's no way I could (or would) take it apart.  

8 minutes ago, LilHobbit said:

So you do believe it's a crack rather than just a good size scratch?  I was afraid to press down on it any further as I didn't want to cause any additional damage.  As far as corner blocks, I have no idea as there's no way I could (or would) take it apart.  

Just take a look through the f holes.;) In the corners should be wooden blocks (or even none), and maybe you can tell in which way the linings are meeting them, and maybe if they are longer in the outer or middle bouts. That's what I asked about in my former post. And if you could take a detailled shot of the rib corners to see how they are jointed would be helpfull. too. Also a straight flush side view of the scroll, please.

8 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Just take a look through the f holes.;) In the corners should be wooden blocks (or even none), and maybe you can tell in which way the linings are meeting them, and maybe if they are longer in the outer or middle bouts. That's what I asked about in my former post. And if you could take a detailled shot of the rib corners to see how they are jointed would be helpfull. too. Also a straight flush side view of the scroll, please.

There are wooden blocks in the corners.  That's about all I can tell.  Here's additional pictures. 75A5153E-A250-4EE2-923E-CBD62478369F.thumb.jpeg.94835c6dc644fd878bceb747244353c0.jpeg

28DC3ECD-B564-4C1B-867D-442E5974C4D3.thumb.jpeg.fa1b0109c902db46a75c2ebd6671ae8f.jpeg

FB3D5F44-0162-41E0-9132-ED5F2B019AF4.thumb.jpeg.3f7d3714d302df472253f517eb46b73e.jpeg

24215FA7-CCF5-40D7-8327-CB2A0686BC96.thumb.jpeg.2190259ed936f39baec98e13a3bc77cb.jpeg

5D50E07D-21AA-4245-85F9-B2607DA2CF8F.thumb.jpeg.d6a3f345a66420a0bc5655a6b6ae0b3c.jpegD623EE9E-6902-468B-81A9-4BDFBE4EF03B.thumb.jpeg.a569da9055f8901feccb6f6533d193f2.jpeg

"There are wooden blocks in the corners.  That's about all I can tell. "

Most likely false corner blocks, and perhaps in the lower corners only. Markneukirchen type instruments are often like that.

$10,000??? That's something that P.T. Barnum might have trouble pulling off!

1 hour ago, LilHobbit said:

Re: corner blocks - take a photo from the inside. There are various pictures on the forum that show what the corner blocks may look like.

What drew you to this particular instrument? Why are you considering it?

42 minutes ago, Rue said:

Re: corner blocks - take a photo from the inside. There are various pictures on the forum that show what the corner blocks may look like.

What drew you to this particular instrument? Why are you considering it?

It does have a gorgeous tone to it.  While it's slightly nasally sounding on the D & G, it's a sound that changes depending on how it's played.  I would definitely play around with strings to help bring out the beautiful, rich tone.  The E strings just sings.  I've tried several other violins including another French violin labeled Chardon et fils that I love (trialing it as well right now).  The Chardon has a beautiful deep tone on the lower registers but lacks that singing quality on the E, it just doesn't ring the way this one does.  Yes, this violin definitely has seen some love and use but I think it gives it more charm?  In all, something about this one just drew me to it as soon as I played the first note.

I'll have to ask about what looks like a potential crack starting by the chin rest for sure though.

3 hours ago, LilHobbit said:

It does have a gorgeous tone to it.  While it's slightly nasally sounding on the D & G, it's a sound that changes depending on how it's played.  I would definitely play around with strings to help bring out the beautiful, rich tone.  The E strings just sings.  I've tried several other violins including another French violin labeled Chardon et fils that I love (trialing it as well right now).  The Chardon has a beautiful deep tone on the lower registers but lacks that singing quality on the E, it just doesn't ring the way this one does.  Yes, this violin definitely has seen some love and use but I think it gives it more charm?  In all, something about this one just drew me to it as soon as I played the first note.

I'll have to ask about what looks like a potential crack starting by the chin rest for sure though.

Fair enough!

See about the crack, ask why the price is set at 10K - maybe there's something we're not seeing/noticing.

Then be prepared to barter. A lot.

Well I am happy for your sake that I was wrong, Martin thinks it is worth something, and he’s right and I am wrong, so good for you.

However, in my own defense, 10 grand is a whole lot of money, and you could probably find something that looks better and sounds better for the same amount of money, and probably get better provenance as well.

Thank you for sharing!

ummm By the way, what kind of bow do you have?

1 minute ago, PhilipKT said:

Well I am happy for your sake that I was wrong, Martin thinks it is worth something, and he’s right and I am wrong, so good for you.

However, in my own defense, 10 grand is a whole lot of money, and you could probably find something that looks better and sounds better for the same amount of money, and probably get better provenance as well.

Thank you for sharing!

Nope, Martin retracted his original statement and is now in agreement with Jacob.

13 minutes ago, Shelbow said:

Nope, Martin retracted his original statement and is now in agreement with Jacob.

Oh, I missed that. Well, yay me. That also means Jacob is in agreement with me, so that’s even more points for my side.

Maybe I should hang out my shingle!

:-)

4 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Thank you for sharing!

After all the discussion here, I’m second guessing this violin.  It has a beautiful sound but I am concerned about the crack.  I already contacted the shop and they said they would absolutely repair it.  I had no doubt that they would.  I looked at my other local shop today and have found a Roth violin that I’m quite intrigued by.  Only bad thing is that since it’s not the shop I purchased my current violin from, I’d lose a bit of money on the trade in.  

Currently, I have an Elias Guasti bow that plays quite nicely.  Upgrading the bow is not out of the question though.  

2 hours ago, LilHobbit said:

After all the discussion here, I’m second guessing this violin.  It has a beautiful sound but I am concerned about the crack.  I already contacted the shop and they said they would absolutely repair it.  I had no doubt that they would.  I looked at my other local shop today and have found a Roth violin that I’m quite intrigued by.  Only bad thing is that since it’s not the shop I purchased my current violin from, I’d lose a bit of money on the trade in.  

Currently, I have an Elias Guasti bow that plays quite nicely.  Upgrading the bow is not out of the question though.  

You should try making a bow! It's fun