Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

"New" Giuseppe Guarneri discovered via dedrochronology


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, gowan said:

The particular attic might also give useful indications.  Suppose the violin had been found in the attic of a villa known to have been occupied by a friend of a friend of Count Cozio di Salabue ... :D

Yes! We need to clearly specify the nature of the attic!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, sospiri said:

With certainty? Mathematical proof?

Let's see the numbers then.

 

8 hours ago, Bruce Carlson said:

It's a same tree match. 

I've never been able to get any information from the database.

But if you say it's the real thing Bruce, that's good enough for me.

3 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

I'm curious why the previously consulted experts were reluctant to certify the violin as made by J. filius Andrea. Maybe they were unwilling to risk being wrong with such a high profile attribution? I find it amazing that Bruce had the twin on hand for side by side comparison. Fantastic!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Ratcliffiddles said:

Strange, I have plenty (daily?) of success cross-matching instrument data with published ITRDB regional data. 

What words should I put into the search to find the information in the paper being discussed here?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, sospiri said:

It's very strange. Can anyone else comment about their searches on the ITRDB?

Incidentally, I have just tried one of the ITRDB's southern Austrian references against data from instruments in my database, and well over 1000 ring-patterns from instruments cross-match with t-values between 6 and 11, so some do work.

How many instruments have you tried to cross-date?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ratcliffiddles said:

Incidentally, I have just tried one of the ITRDB's southern Austrian references against data from instruments in my database, and well over 1000 ring-patterns from instruments cross-match with t-values between 6 and 11, so some do work.

How many instruments have you tried to cross-date?

 

I get zero information. All the searches take me round in circles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, sospiri said:

I get zero information. All the searches take me round in circles.

I am not sure what searches you are referring to, I thought we were talking about the suitability, or not, of published regional reference data? Sure, not all instruments do fit a published chronology, that would be too easy. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ratcliffiddles said:

... Sure, not all instruments do fit a published chronology, that would be too easy. :D

Well, NOT if the trees all had proper names!!!

:ph34r:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ratcliffiddles said:

I am not sure what searches you are referring to, I thought we were talking about the suitability, or not, of published regional reference data? Sure, not all instruments do fit a published chronology, that would be too easy. :D

Since I have zero access to any data from the ITRDB then I have to ask why? Why do the searches go nowhere? They just lead me round in a circle with zero information.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, sospiri said:

Since I have zero access to any data from the ITRDB then I have to ask why? Why do the searches go nowhere? They just lead me round in a circle with zero information.

 

 

Then you're not looking in the right place. Access via https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access/paleoclimatology-data/datasets/tree-ring

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Incidentally, contrary to what the paper says from the o.p., my report on the Joseph Guarneri "Filius Andreae" from Vichy did contain the dendrochronological date of the wood (1695), and had already identified another highly probable same-tree match to further violin by the same maker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Televet said:

So @sospiri is merely incompetent and there is no conspiracy then :ph34r:

What conspiracy did you have in mind?

 

12 hours ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

Sounds like you're trying to do dendros for free without paying a professional like Peter, who is very reasonable, by the way!

Do I need a license? Or a PhD to access the data? Or pay a subscription?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sospiri said:

No Peter, the link doesn't work. This is what I am trying to tell you. I can't access any information. 

The link seems to work for me.

I just downloaded a data file in ".json" format ----------   "NOAA A 2000 year long seasonal record of floods in the southern European Alps, Lake Ledro, Northern Italy (Wirth, S.B.)". ----------

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Delabo said:

The link seems to work for me.

I just downloaded a data file in ".json" format ----------   "NOAA A 2000 year long seasonal record of floods in the southern European Alps, Lake Ledro, Northern Italy (Wirth, S.B.)". ----------

@sospiri is still incompetent then?:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...