Maestronet Forums

I have been on an anti-excess-packaging/single-use/non-degradable hobby-horse for quite a while now.

I really don't understand why, with all we know, and with better options available, industry doesn't smarten up.

I hate that the onus is always put on the consumer to "reject" excess/unnecessary packaging instead of on government and industry to be responsible for the waste.

Seriously...an individual rejecting a plastic bag doesn't make much difference. An industry stopping the use of plastic bags makes a huge difference. And when one industry starts, others will follow.

Not to mention, it seems to me that most individuals can't be bothered to be "inconvenienced", even a little bit, to make much of an effort without actually having to.

We were just getting the ball rolling as the pandemic hit. Now the excessive use of PPE has set the entire planet back.

...and! I'm not even hard-core in my personal philosophy about excess. It's okay to have some convenience. The planet can handle a bit of garbage.

But we are entirely out of control.

*whew*. Rant over. Feel better now...:rolleyes:

Just now, Bruce Carlson said:

Isn't there something about excessive and highly exclusive looking packaging which subliminally communicates that you can pay more for this item?

Would you pay the same amount if the just gave you the strings over the counter with no packaging in a used bio-degradeable shopping bag?

19 minutes ago, Bruce Carlson said:

Isn't there something about excessive and highly exclusive looking packaging which subliminally communicates that you can pay more for this item?

Would you pay the same amount if the just gave you the strings over the counter with no packaging in a used bio-degradeable shopping bag?

I would! I would also be very happy with a note stating something along the lines of "environmentally conscious, minimal degradable packaging. Thank you! Buy again!".

47 minutes ago, stringcheese said:

I agree with Rue on this one. Less is more. Some companies are certainly better at this than others, and we do buy in bulk when we can. Rue, gotta ask: Where on the Canadian prairies?

It's a secret...if I tell you, well, you know what happens then...:ph34r:

2 hours ago, Bruce Carlson said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of all the frilly packaging but I think that's one of the reasons the companies do it like that. Personally I could care less about the packaging.

What? You don't like missile-t*t brassieres?  :o

On 5/14/2021 at 6:49 PM, chungviolins said:

After installing a new set of strings...

Koo Young Chung 

What was wrong with the old ones?

Old strings sound better. They make a new violin sound old. What's not to like?

Maybe they should go back to the old paper packaging like we find in so many old cases.  Those are always pretty cool, I've saved a few of the more interesting ones.  The string companies can call it both environmentally friendly and "antique throwback" with the old fonts and graphics.  You know how everybody's a sucker for old fiddles, why not old fashioned string envelopes?  If counterfeiting is a problem they can always throw on one of those little silvery stickers like us old folks remember used to be in CD packaging.  Uh.. if that's still a thing :lol:

I like paper. Paper can also be art. Marbled paper is beautiful. Rag paper, pressed paper, etc.

There will be a way to use paper effectively (both for attractive, degradable packaging and also still cost-effective).

Parchment (paper, not animal skin), cellulose paper, rice paper, kraft paper, possibly wax paper...all possibilities.

There are heavier papers too, although they might not be cost effective.

And, of course...recycled paper!

10 hours ago, Rue said:

I like paper. Paper can also be art. Marbled paper is beautiful. Rag paper, pressed paper, etc.

There will be a way to use paper effectively (both for attractive, degradable packaging and also still cost-effective).

Parchment (paper, not animal skin), cellulose paper, rice paper, kraft paper, possibly wax paper...all possibilities.

There are heavier papers too, although they might not be cost effective.

And, of course...recycled paper!

Why isn't there an edible form of packaging? That would save time recycling.

Or would that put the recycle people out of work?

It would be fun to munch your way to your favourite strings and consign the waste to the sewer.

Or is sewage another issue we need to change? Should we give our fecal matter to the microorganisms to reconvert it into something we can use?

11 minutes ago, sospiri said:

Why isn't there an edible form of packaging? That would save time recycling.

Or is sewage another issue we need to change?

You are welcome to eat your sewage, if you want too

In many cases strings are used some time after manufacture and may tarnish, dry out, shrink or deteriorate in some way depending on the materials used. The manufacturers and retailers catch the grief from this. While I certainly agree with reducing waste and unnecessary consumption of resources The violin trade, as with other worth while causes like reducing the use of ivory, is a miniscule part of the problem. There are many cases where packaging is completely unnecessary which might be addressed first while looking at ways to minimize the necessary protection of product quality.