Maestronet Forums

Speaking of pegbox: tuning pegs... sizes... ??

Tazling

I am seriously thinking of installing Wittner Finetune pegs on a 1/10 Eastman cello.

Foolishly I initlally assumed that all tuning pegs were of a standard size (I mean, they all look very similar).  So I was surprised to learn that they come in many different diameters and even different tapers.  Cello pegs differ from violin pegs in taper.  Viola pegs are thicker than violin pegs.  And most charts of peg sizes don't even mention 1/8 and 1/10 scale cellos.

So hmmm.

Any thoughts on which size of peg is most likely to match a 1/10 Eastman kiddie cello pegbox?  

Alternately, what dimension on the pegbox could I measure that would offer a clue?

If anyone's already done this (to make tuning easier for kiddie hands) on the same size instrument I would love to know which Finetunes worked for you!

What you will need to know is the diameter of the peg holes. Be aware that the holes may not all be of the same diameter, so you will have to check each one in turn. Large size pegs will have large heads, which could be a problem.
You will also need the correct tools to install the pegs, such as a reamer, fine saw etc.
It is probably best to contact Wittner for their advice.

Wittner FineTune pegs are listed by the diameter at the ring. You need the diameter at the outside of the pegbox. Wittner shows that info, but I refer to charts at Fiddlershop’s website. (I bought violin and viola pegs from them recently.)

I just looked - Fiddlershop carries five sizes of Wittner FineTune pegs for cello.

I think you also need to consider the size of the peg heads.  The heads on regular cello pegs will be so disproportionally large for a 1/10 cello that they might interfere with each other when they are turned.  This would also depend on the peg hole spacing.  I don't think that Finetune pegs are made for such a small cello.  You may find that you have to use violin/viola pegs on this instrument.

Edit:  Now I've checked, and I see that Finetune pegs are made for 1/4-1/2 cello.  These might work for a 1/10.

The hole size is another matter.  There's a good chance that the holes in your cello would need the be reamed bigger or bushed smaller.  This is not a do-it-yourself project unless you are a luthier.

Thanks for the warnings and advice!  I ran across a blog of a guy with a 1/8 cello who found that one size of the Wittners just fit perfectly out of the box, but maybe he just got lucky... Wittner also provides templates for shims (made of very fine sandpaper) to fit their Finetunes into just slightly oversize holes, so there's a bit of wiggle room there (so to speak) without going full-on luthier.  I'll do my measuring very carefully before ordering anything!

9 hours ago, Tazling said:

... I'll do my measuring very carefully...

The measuring is tricky because the nominal Wittner peg size is the diameter of the tapered shaft at its largest point, but this is different from the diameter of either hole.  The diameter of your larger hole has to be a bit smaller than the peg’s nominal size, but I can’t tell you how much smaller.

At the risk of sounding brutal, it seems the OP is way out of their depth here. Op, I'm assuming that you are the parent of a musical child, and know little about instruments & their maintenance.
It will simply be easier all round, and probably cheaper in the long run, to take the cello to someone who knows what they are doing, and have a set of pegs fitted.

You risk ordering pegs, which will either be too big, or too small, and then trying to make them fit without any of the correct tools.
Without a vernier calliper, you have no chance of measuring the peg holes accurately enough. There is no guarantee that the pegholes are even at the correct taper to accept Wittner pegs.
As others have pointed out, when buying pegs, the diameter given is the maximum diameter of the shaft, measured at the collar. This is different to the peghole measurement.

Wittner pegs need to fit so that there is no gap between the capstan, and the side of the pegbox. Otherwise, the string will become wrapped around the part of the shaft which does not turn, and the strings will snap. Trying to get that fit right, using pieces of sandpaper to pack it out seems unlikely to be successful.

I will not deny being somewhat out of my depth -- no brutality needed  :-)  OTOH I do own 2 vernier calipers, one digital, one analog.   So I can remove an existing peg and build a pretty accurate model of it.  (Step 1).

Since I live on a remote island, 2 ferries away from the nearest town which I'm pretty sure doesn't have a luthier just popping over to the luthier shop is not really an option (the nearest pro I know of is a day's travel away).  This is one reason why I'm still thinking about it and not rushing in all enthusiastic and underprepared  :-)

I understand the installation requirement (having read the Wittner install guides a few times) so my next move will be to pull one peg, get out the calipers, and get those accurate measurements to see whether their pegs will work at all.  Busy right now with other projects :-)  but will report back if I ever get anywhere with this idea.  I do appreciate everyone's advice and info, many thanks!