Maestronet Forums

Romanian luthier Paul Simon - anyone familiar?

I've exchanged emails with him, seems a nice fellow, but if anyone has actually done business with him please let me know. I'm looking for high end instruments in the white to modify and offer for step-ups and folks that aren't able to afford my fully handmade instruments.

Do they build the instruments? Almost all the pictures show them with just varnish brush in hand and the only pic that shows some instrument parts is with CNC cut necks.

Do you think that all the musical instruments you find in Germany or the USA .....are produced in the countries where you buy them ??? or they are made by one man ... ??? they all cooperate with each other 
I don't buy the musical instruments  .... I buy the wood, then together with 3 colleagues we make the white instrument and after varnishing and set up this instrument.

On 5/12/2021 at 9:37 PM, JacksonMaberry said:

This is a shop in Reghin, and I was wondering if anyone has experience with them. Thanks in advance!

https://www.simoninstruments.com/en/home.html

Hi Jackson,

I can't answer your question specifically, but there are many suppliers of violins in Reghin who buy violins in the white from other workshops. Equally there are many independent makers who do everything.

The only way to be sure is to visit the workshop. In this case as HoGo says we see a lot of photos of finished white violins and of varnishing, but no making.

1 hour ago, martin swan said:

I can't answer your question specifically, but there are many suppliers of violins in Reghin who buy violins in the white from other workshops.

... in China. 

I've seen a couple of very decent d/basses and cellos made at Reghin. Never saw a half decent violin made there. If you did and have a picture, please PM it to me.

Thank you.

We worked for nearly 10 years with a great maker called Friderich Szasz - he may be retired by now.

https://www.szasz-violins.com/instruments  There was another excellent workshop we used for a while but then their entire production was bought out.

Chinese workshops buy a lot of wood in Reghin but given the vast production of this one town there's hardly any point in a Reghin workshop buying in white Chinese violins when they can buy them by the bagload from the Hora or Gliga factory.

20 minutes ago, Rue said:

Why, oh why, the orange varnish???

Unless it isn't that colour in real life?

I suspect it's less lurid in real life.

Personally I don't mind the varnish (I abhor antiqueing on new instrument) but actually he only ever made violins in the white for us.

People we sold these violins to were just looking for great sound on a budget.

Er, not quite.

They are either in the orange "spectrum", or not.

I'm not talking about overtones, undertones, highlights, lowlights...just the broad, overall, colour.

If Martin says they are likely not that lurid in real life. I (thankfully) believe him!

FWIW...I had a very orange violin for a short while. I no longer have the very orange violin. 

I have wondered though, if it might have something to do with colour-blindness? Maybe those (predominantly men) with red/green colour-blindness just don't see how orange that orange is?

12 minutes ago, Rue said:

Er, not quite.

They are either in the orange "spectrum", or not.

I'm not talking about overtones, undertones, highlights, lowlights...just the broad, overall, colour.

If Martin says they are likely not that lurid in real life. I (thankfully) believe him!

FWIW...I had a very orange violin for a short while. I no longer have the very orange violin. 

I have wondered though, if it might have something to do with colour-blindness? Maybe those (predominantly men) with red/green colour-blindness just don't see how orange that orange is?

Rue, I think it's possible that your "orange aversion" is not shared by the general population .... there are a lot of orange violins out there, and people buy them, use them and love them.

Alternatively, maybe you could adjust your monitor and it wouldn't be so offensive to you :lol:

1 hour ago, martin swan said:

Rue, I think it's possible that your "orange aversion" is not shared by the general population .... there are a lot of orange violins out there, and people buy them, use them and love them.

Alternatively, maybe you could adjust your monitor and it wouldn't be so offensive to you :lol:

Rue's beloved tortoise is not orange, nor is (most) goat poop, so these may influence her color preferences. ;)

20 hours ago, Rue said:

I know someone who commissioned a cello from an extremely well respected maker. When it arrived it was bright orange. He contacted the maker and, diplomatic asked about the varnish.  The reply was "my interpretation of a cremona varnish" when he pointed out that I was very orange he was told it would mellow, and it did. 2 years later is is the most gorgeous iridescent browny red with flame like highlights in certain light.