Maestronet Forums

Request for bow restoration quote

4 minutes ago, Rue said:

@sospiri See? I knew you could do it!

Bow looks promising!

And yes, that's the front stoop. It's most sunny here :)...except when it's not. <_<

And why haven’t you invited us all over for a cup of coffee?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, sospiri said:

But where did they source their Yew?

That's the big bone of contention amongst English Longbow makers. There are huge numbers of Yews in my neck o the woods. Sourcing the right staves is a matter of looking at enough trees. Wood yew like me to find yew some?

If you have good yew staves I could be interested in buying or bartering for some. I have quite a lot of ipe and bloodwood bow blanks for violin/viola/cello, as well as a barn full of excellent old Engelmann spruce.

1 minute ago, JacksonMaberry said:

Nice bow work. Self taught or studied somewhere

Thanks. I like your bow too. I have John Stagg's book explaining the Hill method. I also don't want to follow the Hill method, but just use his knowledge and experience as a guide. 

I just went by feel. I made a few small errors that don't bother me. I think it's good enough for a first attempt. Should I finish it or use it as a guide of what not to do for my next attempt?

6 minutes ago, Rue said:

See? I knew you could do it!

Bows look promising!

And yes, that's the front stoop. It's most sunny here :)...except when it's not. <_<

I used my inner monkey brain. Jab and poke until something happens. 

For woodworking I am hopefully even more persistent.

It's cold and grey here, but approaching the peak of greenness. I need it to warm up so I can do some fair weather bicyclism. 

4 minutes ago, sospiri said:

Thanks. I like your bow too. I have John Stagg's book explaining the Hill method. I also don't want to follow the Hill method, but just use his knowledge and experience as a guide. 

I just went by feel. I made a few small errors that don't bother me. I think it's good enough for a first attempt. Should I finish it or use it as a guide of what not to do for my next attempt?

I used my inner monkey brain. Jab and poke until something happens. 

For woodworking I am hopefully even more persistent.

It's cold and grey here, but approaching the peak of greenness. I need it to warm up so I can do some fair weather bicyclism. 

I have a 1973 Schwinn that weighs 45 pounds. Love it.

If you have good yew staves I could be interested in buying or bartering for some. I have quite a lot of ipe and bloodwood bow blanks for violin/viola/cello, as well as a barn full of excellent old Engelmann spruce.

I don't have yew staves, but I know someone who does. But since it grows naturally in the Yorkshire Dales Limestone valleys, it would be fun to source some.

Figured Sycamore maple is also very common in some parts very close to my home. That barn full of Engelman sounds promising. 

1 minute ago, sospiri said:

Figured Sycamore maple is also very common in some parts very close to my home. That barn full of Engelman sounds promising. 

English sycamore is a much lusted after material among American luthiers, but hard to come by. If you'd like to trade spruce for sycamore, please be in touch.

2 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

I have a 1973 Schwinn that weighs 45 pounds. Love it.

Twice the weight of my 1971 Carlton? No wonder USA didn't produce any world beaters until Greg Lemond escaped to Europe in the late 70s.

English sycamore is a much lusted after material among American luthiers, but hard to come by. If you'd like to trade spruce for sycamore, please be in touch.

I only have a small amount. I have spoken to some of the landowners and they are interested. The problem is keeping the conservationists happy. It is not harvested commercially round here, but non figured sycamore is. So I will have to ask the foresters about this too.

The sycamore I have planes very nicely. It is low density around 0.5 but a joy to carve.

How does it compare for looks with European supplies, I don't know yet.

14 minutes ago, sospiri said:

Twice the weight of my 1971 Carlton? No wonder USA didn't produce any world beaters until Greg Lemond escaped to Europe in the late 70s.

My bike is a suburban, it’s not a racing bike, but it’s solid steel and just as comfortable as it can be, I’ve had it up to 25 miles an hour, but I was working hard. Usually I cruise about 17. I also have the frame of a Schwinn Paramount, which was the finest bike you could buy back in the day but I haven’t gotten around to having it built up yet. But believe me, unless you’ve ridden an all steel bike, You don’t know how comfortable they are.

2 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

My bike is a suburban, it’s not a racing bike, but it’s solid steel and just as comfortable as it can be, I’ve had it up to 25 miles an hour, but I was working hard. Usually I cruise about 17. I also have the frame of a Schwinn Paramount, which was the finest bike you could buy back in the day but I haven’t gotten around to having it built up yet. But believe me, unless you’ve ridden an all steel bike, You don’t know how comfortable they are.

Yes, steel has the magic feel. Heavy, but comfortable and powerful.

17mph cruising speed is good. Some people are naturally better at cycling than running. Is that a Texan thing?