PhilipKT

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, sospiri said:

Add Files > My Files> Images > Camera > Click on images 

Then what???

If you have an iPhone, after you click on images you should have the option to “add”If you have an iPhone, after you click on images you should have the option to “add”

6 hours ago, uncle duke said:

I had just pulled up to the parking area and long story short I mentioned you don't need to take a shot from this far and before I finished my sentence the arrow was there - from the front of my car to his target which was nothing more than a small cardboard box - I lost eye contact with the arrow after 60 - 70 ft.  

He was a smaller kid so I'm just guessing 40 -45#.  I saw a red fox early this morning prowling around.  I'd hate to lose a pet to the likes of them.

If it wasn't for the Agincourt archers who knows where world history would be today.

Speaking French

53 minutes ago, JacksonMaberry said:

Osage (Bois d'arc) makes outstanding longbows too. And shortbows, for that matter.

I live in North Texas, so there’s plenty of Osage Orange around here, the problem is that everybody I’ve spoken to says that the wood is so hard it ruins sawblades, and nobody wants to work with it. It’s beautiful, and it takes forever to rot And I don’t know whether it is harder than Pernambuco or not, but it is definitely a hard hardwood

4 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

If you have an iPhone, after you click on images you should have the option to “add”If you have an iPhone, after you click on images you should have the option to “add”

It's a samsung galaxy 

Yes. I have a Galaxy too. IPhone is a little different.

Go back to the instructions I suggested, and see if you can make it happen again!

BTW...write down a step by step reminder of what you did, exactly (as you go along), then you can pinpoint what went right and what didn't.

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

I live in North Texas, so there’s plenty of Osage Orange around here, the problem is that everybody I’ve spoken to says that the wood is so hard it ruins sawblades, and nobody wants to work with it. It’s beautiful, and it takes forever to rot And I don’t know whether it is harder than Pernambuco or not, but it is definitely a hard hardwood

I don't buy it. I just milled four staves out of a huge slab of Osage and am finishing a horse bow. My bandsaw didn't even balk and it wasn't that difficult to carve. Hard, yes. But compared with ebony or pernambuco it's practically a pleasure to work

IMG_20210514_135459.jpg

IMG_20210514_170155.jpg

2 hours ago, JacksonMaberry said:

I don't buy it. I just milled four staves out of a huge slab of Osage and am finishing a horse bow. My bandsaw didn't even balk and it wasn't that difficult to carve. Hard, yes. But compared with ebony or pernambuco it's practically a pleasure to work

IMG_20210514_135459.jpg

IMG_20210514_170155.jpg

That’s beautiful. But what is  a horse bow? A bow designed for use on horseback ?

2 hours ago, sospiri said:

I'm getting a link but no image.

If the photo is too large, it usually lets you know. But MN will accept fairly large photos.

If that's not the issue, I'm not sure what is.

Testing for sospiri:

Uploading a photo:

Click on "Add Files" under the text box.

Then "Choose an action"

Click on the place your files are. Mine are in "Files"

Select your photo and also click "select" at the top of the page.

When that's done, click on the blue "Submit Reply" box.

(The size of the photo shows up under the photo. This one is 4.03 MB.)

20210510_105313.jpg

55 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

I need to give you my address so you can send it to me…

;-)

I'd be happy to make you a bow. I have three more staves and know where to get more. These are all sized for horse bows, but my local mill has a board from the same tree long enough for English style bows.

This is my first attempt from last summer. I'm not sure how to progress with the machining, but I enjoy the hand skills.

I need one of those special knives for shaping the back of the head.

The weight is down to 47.7 grams so far.

I am aiming for 36-40 depending on how it feels.

I would like to learn how to work with silver. I have some ebony for frogs. But nothing for inlays.

This was just an offcut and was never meant to be a finished bow, just for practice, but I kept going. You can see that the grain alignment is not straight along the length.

18 hours ago, Rue said:

Testing for sospiri:

Uploading a photo:

Click on "Add Files" under the text box.

Then "Choose an action"

Click on the place your files are. Mine are in "Files"

Select your photo and also click "select" at the top of the page.

When that's done, click on the blue "Submit Reply" box.

(The size of the photo shows up under the photo. This one is 4.03 MB.)

20210510_105313.jpg

Thanks Rue, I just tried every combo until it worked. But I still got some failure messages. I hope I can remember the sequence.

Is that your porch and driveway? Are you getting lots of sun?

On 5/14/2021 at 4:45 PM, PhilipKT said:

What’s the pull? I took an archery class in college, and was the best shot in the class, but we were only using 30 pound bows. The Bowmen at Agincourt Were using bows of yew with 100 pound pulls. And firing five shots a minute. That’s astonishing.

But where did they source their Yew?

That's the big bone of contention amongst English Longbow makers. There are huge numbers of Yews in my neck o the woods. Sourcing the right staves is a matter of looking at enough trees. Wood yew like me to find yew some?