Maestronet Forums

Request for bow restoration quote

Sent you a PM.  I know someone who only uses Pernambuco; may be able to get him to do it for about 2K or so.  His violin bows are quite good, and getting better. I can't comment on his cello bows...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/11/2021 at 2:07 PM, PhilipKT said:

https://www.3riversarchery.com/quick-stick-longbow.html?msclkid=1a1e3b1b72f11e718b315b81a753c1e1

this isn’t QUITE what I had in mind when I searched for “bow stick”

:-)

After looking at Flattmountains post named On the bow hunt.... I decided to take a drive out to a local archery range for some reason.  Low and behold I see an example of a shooting bow similar to the example you have above, if not the same bow.

Impressive - sends a 5/16" -  28" drawn wooden arrow at a speed of one hundred yards per second - just breath taking.

On 5/13/2021 at 9:16 AM, uncle duke said:

After looking at Flattmountains post named On the bow hunt.... I decided to take a drive out to a local archery range for some reason.  Low and behold I see an example of a shooting bow similar to the example you have above, if not the same bow.

Impressive - sends a 5/16" -  28" drawn wooden arrow at a speed of one hundred yards per second - just breath taking.

What’s the pull? I took an archery class in college, and was the best shot in the class, but we were only using 30 pound bows. The Bowmen at Agincourt Were using bows of yew with 100 pound pulls. And firing five shots a minute. That’s astonishing.

42 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

What’s the pull? I took an archery class in college, and was the best shot in the class, but we were only using 30 pound bows. The Bowmen at Agincourt Were using bows of yew with 100 pound pulls. And firing five shots a minute. That’s astonishing.

I had just pulled up to the parking area and long story short I mentioned you don't need to take a shot from this far and before I finished my sentence the arrow was there - from the front of my car to his target which was nothing more than a small cardboard box - I lost eye contact with the arrow after 60 - 70 ft.  

He was a smaller kid so I'm just guessing 40 -45#.  I saw a red fox early this morning prowling around.  I'd hate to lose a pet to the likes of them.

If it wasn't for the Agincourt archers who knows where world history would be today.

5 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

You mean the English bowmen.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

Do you have any evidence that your replacement frog and button were custom hand made or just commercial frog fit to stick?

Yes. I personally commissioned it, I know the guy who did the work, and I was involved in the work. Yes it is a real frog, made by a real guy who did a very good job of it.

Plus he’s probably made three other frogs for me, one for a colleague, another one for another colleague, and one for another regular poster here.Plus he’s probably made three other frogs for me, one for a colleague, another one for another colleague, and one for another regular poster here.

Edited by PhilipKT
18 minutes ago, sospiri said:

You mean the English bowmen.

I certainly didn’t mean the French Bowmen. By the way I responded to your private message, I’m looking forward to learning more.

11 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

I certainly didn’t mean the French Bowmen. By the way I responded to your private message, I’m looking forward to learning more.

I have some photos but I don't know how to send them.

I also have a plentiful supply of English Yew if you want to make some English Longbows.

5 minutes ago, sospiri said:

I also have a plentiful supply of English Yew if you want to make some English Longbows.

Actually, I would love to have a true English longbow

8 minutes ago, sospiri said:

You mean as a personal email attachment?

It's very similar to adding a photo within the forum.

Just click on the paperclip icon, then find the file you saved the photo in, then click on the photo...that will attach it to the email. Then send.

I can't provide the exact scenario your equipment might have since the little details may vary, but that's the basic protocol for almost all consumer devices.

11 minutes ago, Rue said:

You mean as a personal email attachment?

It's very similar to adding a photo within the forum.

Just click on the paperclip icon, then find the file you saved the photo in, then click on the photo...that will attach it to the email. Then send.

I can't provide the exact scenario your equipment might have since the little details may vary, but that's the basic protocol for almost all consumer devices.

I don't know what all of that means. 

23 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Actually, I would love to have a true English longbow

Did yew no yew have to yews Pacific or Alpine Yew staves to make an English longbow?

Complete bollocks of course, but that's what everyone Will Tell Yew.

I want to share my photos here so that everyone can see not in a private email

1 minute ago, Rue said:

You can email from your phone, right?

Why won't it work? Is it because I have a weak signal? So how come my words load but not photos?

But you uploaded a photo of your cat last week.

So you can do it.

Ignore all the email stuff the. It's irrelevant.

***photos are sometimes very large, size-wise (pixels). Words don't require as much space. If your photos are larger than the forum permts, they need to be reduced in size first.