Maestronet Forums

Request for bow restoration quote

Let me start by saying that if this is an improper request, moderators please delete this.

OK, regarding the bow I shared the other day that was ruined by my student. The stick is toast, but I have a perfectly good and lovely frog and button. I don’t know how many Bowmakers are here, But I would love a private message from someone who might be interested in making a stick for this frog and button.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Let me start by saying that if this is an improper request, moderators please delete this.

OK, regarding the bow I shared the other day that was ruined by my student. The stick is toast, but I have a perfectly good and lovely frog and button. I don’t know how many Bowmakers are here, But I would love a private message from someone who might be interested in making a stick for this frog and button.

couldn't you find a bow stick on Amazon?:)

17 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Does it have to be Pernambuco?

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

I would say so be Use I’ve no experience with anything else except snakewood, and I hated it. It was very heavy and very weak.

I have Pernambuco and Ipé blanks. I want to work with the Ipé first because, although I'm confident in my carving skills, Pernambuco is a very special wood etc.

I can post some photos when I get home.

The Ipé is dense and stiff and I would pick the best. Just like Pernambuco and Abeillewood, it varies in stiffness. 

It's not about the money for me right now, it's about the quality of work and materials.

7 hours ago, rudall said:

Why would any bow maker want to do that? 

An established bow maker wouldn't be interested, but I would. 

7 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

Close to the truth perhaps, and with a bow worth 2k at the end.

It seems a fairly pointless endeavour, since the fittings are not anything historically special.

Yes the result would be a hybrid bow, with a stick made by somebody with a name, and the frog/button made by somebody else with a name: Ultimately a curiosity, but nothing more, so it wouldn’t be any kind of an investment, but it would be less expensive than other options. Fitting a factory stick would be a waste of a nice frog, and it’s doubtful that a master would be interested, but just because one is not a master doesn’t mean he can’t make a nice bow...Or she, of course. And  would allow me to get use out of this very nice frog and button.

And of course, if my queries result in astronomical prices, of course I’ll investigate other options.

1 hour ago, JacksonMaberry said:

Ernie Hartl in Washington state does great work and is a friend of mine. His new bows run about 5k. I don't know what he would charge to make just the stick, using your frog and button.

Is he one of the Port Townsend gang?

3 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Yes the result would be a hybrid bow, with a stick made by somebody with a name, and the frog/button made by somebody else with a name: Ultimately a curiosity, but nothing more, so it wouldn’t be any kind of an investment, but it would be less expensive than other options. Fitting a factory stick would be a waste of a nice frog, and it’s doubtful that a master would be interested, but just because one is not a master doesn’t mean he can’t make a nice bow...Or she, of course. And  would allow me to get use out of this very nice frog and button.

And of course, if my queries result in astronomical prices, of course I’ll investigate other options.

If I understood correctly the history of the bow in your other thread, you had bought a stick without fittings from T2.
If you want to use the frog and button so badly, maybe the most cost effective solution is to look for another stick at auction.

34 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

I'm still interested. And for a lot less than 2k.

I'm over the pond in Blighty. I'm sure I can find you some very stiff wood in my stash. And it would be fun to try meet your very high standards. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wood Butcher said:

If I understood correctly the history of the bow in your other thread, you had bought a stick without fittings from T2.
If you want to use the frog and button so badly, maybe the most cost effective solution is to look for another stick at auction.

Yes that is correct, I bought a stick and had the frog fitted, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that another stick bought on speculation would fit.

Also it is highly unlikely I’m ever going to do that again, because it ends up being pretty expensive. It’s much better to just buy the whole package all at once.

Edited by PhilipKT
12 minutes ago, sospiri said:

I'm still interested. And for a lot less than 2k.

I'm over the pond in Blighty. I'm sure I can find you some very stiff wood in my stash. And it would be fun to try meet your very high standards. 

High Standards? I own two of them, ha ha somebody was complaining about how the chats always turned towards guns...”High standard” made excellent Olympic quality target pistols for many decades., Ha ha ha sorry, couldn’t help it..

now, whether I HAVE high standards is another thing entirely.

sent you a message, btw.

14 minutes ago, sospiri said:

Sorry my phone is doing weird things. My messages keep disappearing.

Gotta use your iPad, the new update is from the Devil...and not in a good way, either.