Maestronet Forums

cracked violin repair

doughbunnie

Hello, 

My violin has been cracked for several years now and because of that I stopped playing the violin. I also moved away to college and I had no room or time to continue keeping up with my hobby which was also another reason why I didn't repair my violin when it happened. I've been wanting to pick the violin back up and I just wanted to know how much the repair would be. I also want to know more about the brand my violin is since I can't find any information online about my specific model. 

I have a Strunal violin in the model 200. 

(Please don't mind the finger placement tapes. My brother had borrowed my violin for a while.)

1282689328_ScreenShot2021-05-10at6_47_17PM.png

228798931_ScreenShot2021-05-10at6_47_25PM.png

Hi Doughbunnie, welcome to the forum.

Looks like nobody (better qualified to answer!) has noticed this post, so I thought I would at least mention that some repair prices I see posted for removing the top plate and fixing a simple top plate crack seem to run around a hundred bucks. That probably has a lot to do with where you live though, as well as the nature of the crack.

If you mention the region that you live in, perhaps somebody here can identify a decent local repair shop for you with a good reputation. Personally, I know little about your violin other than the fact that it is probably a common student violin.

Kev

I would charge over $200 to remove the top and repair the crack. If you can find a luthier near you who would be willing to do a through the f hole repair, it would be a lot less. That's what I would consider for a lower cost instrument like this.

Yes, as I suggested to the OP, knowing about where the OP lives will help to know what the local folks will charge. Out here in "flyover" country a local violin place in Eau Claire, Wisconsin advertises on the web a $75 price to remove the top and do a minor (clean I assume) top repair. A few miles south in Chicago and the prices might triple or quadruple. 

As somebody said here, location, location, location....

Of course, I would have to charge even more to make a profit, and probably not do nearly as good of a job...:-)

Kev

Given that it is an inexpensive violin to begin with (approximately 200 pounds, or 250 USD new), unless the repair is also very inexpensive, it's likely not worth investing in.  Might be better to save up for a new/different instrument.

47 minutes ago, Brad Dorsey said:

I generally glue cracks like this on violins like this without removing the top and without cleats.  My charge would be under $100.

Me too. I'd just open the lower bout seam enough to allow the crack to be clamped together. The tops on things like this are often stuck on with nuclear engineering strength glue that I'm happy to leave undisturbed as much as possible

2 hours ago, Kev N said:

Yes, as I suggested to the OP, knowing about where the OP lives will help to know what the local folks will charge. Out here in "flyover" country a local violin place in Eau Claire, Wisconsin advertises on the web a $75 price to remove the top and do a minor (clean I assume) top repair.

Kev

I would expect that a 75 dollar price, even if it describes only removal of the top, or only repairing the crack, or only gluing the top back on, to result in a horrible hack job, and much more-so  if that is the price for the complete job.

I would repair it without opening. It can be done pretty decently considering it is student violin. You need some thin long reach camps to align the crack though. On mandolins this is done commonly through f holes.

It's not worth doing it the "right" way. And it may even lead to more issues if the lacquer chips badly around top seam or wood with severe runout will want to split in unpredictable directions and sometimes these tops may be really hard to remove and can crack without warning at weak spots.

8 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

I would expect that a 75 dollar price, even if it describes only removal of the top, or only repairing the crack, or only gluing the top back on, to result in a horrible hack job, and much more-so  if that is the price for the complete job.

$75 pays for 3/4 of an hour of my time. Allowing 15 minutes for looking the instrument over and another 15 to write the bill and have the client write a check that would leave 15 minutes to do the repair.