Maestronet Forums

Experience with Kremer extra light Colophony?

xraymymind

Hello folks,

I am looking to buy some Colophony for varnish making (summertime is coming!), and I notice Kremer only have one type of Colophony available (asides from their very dark brown stuff).

Here is the link to it: https://www.kremer-pigmente.com/en/shop/mediums-binders-glues/60300-colophony-extra-light.html

It looks to be very light in colour. Does anyone reading this have experience with this colophony, if so, does it turn to a dark colour well, once cooked?

All the best.

It depends on how much time you will cook it, perhaps. You will have to get some and make experiments.  Anyway, if you want a light colored varnish this one looks good. 

I made some marciana varnish with their old dark colophony, it gave a lot of color to the varnish.

Making your own varnish is time and money consuming, it is an art by itself. I use my marciana vanish for the ground, for the coloured coats I use a good quality oil varnish (Magister, Joe Robson).

32 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

WW grade rosin darkens just fine if cooking it down for color is what you’re doing, so does the FF (dark stuff).

70174708-8690-4015-8774-7B89FAD9F439.thumb.jpeg.7163652db683af2294d58f6dfdbf7b54.jpeg

Wow! great darkness. How long did you cook it for to achieve that?

10 hours ago, xraymymind said:

Wow! great darkness. How long did you cook it for to achieve that?

I did that in about 11 hrs. Hot and fast is a risky way to go, and I needed to be tending the pot the entire time.  In the future, I will probably do multiple cooks at a lower temperature.  

3 hours ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

I don't think the color of the darker rosin offered by Kremer is dark enough to influence the color of a thin coat of varnish, it needs to be much deeper colour than that, a process that extended cooking may effect.

The varnish I made resulted very dark..... but I boiled the oil in aloes prior to make the varnish, so part of the colour comes from the aloes too.

20 hours ago, MANFIO said:
On 5/10/2021 at 3:20 PM, Strad O Various Jr. said:

don't think the color of the darker rosin offered by Kremer is dark enough to influence the color of a thin coat of varnish, it needs to be much deeper colour than that, a process that extended cooking may effect.

Expand  

The varnish I made resulted very dark..... but I boiled the oil in aloes prior to make the varnish, so part of the colour comes from the aloes too.

Colophony, except aloe, sugar etc (practices that are mentioned from Guidotti, Bonanni and many other writers of that period),  obtain color from various metals that are cooked together. 

Also, the colophony at the OP is very expensive. Here in Mediterranean I buy 1 kilo for 6 euros. It is used a lot in white wine as preservative - and those who produce that types of wine buy tons. 

Quality colophony is cheap (and produce cheap results if not used properly). 

On 5/9/2021 at 6:37 PM, Michael_Molnar said:

Why use extra light colophony if you are going to darken it? :blink:

On 5/9/2021 at 7:20 PM, Bodacious Cowboy said:

Because it looks nicer.
And my weegee board tells me that’s how Strad did it.

On 5/9/2021 at 7:46 PM, David Burgess said:

My wedgie board tells me otherwise. "

No pain, no gain". ;)

Why? How do you know? Have you considered much lower temperatures and shorter cooking time? Have you tried uncooked?

To paraphrase Arthur Lydiard "Less pain, more gain."