Maestronet Forums

Razorback alligator 4/4 violin case

I inherited by great grandfathers fiddle and am curious about the case.

I am not using the case, actually. But it is made from a razorback alligator so I am wondering if anyone can tell me about it. It is stamped "Made in the USA" on the bottom. 

IMG_8703.jpg

1 hour ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

Your's is probably the simulated alligator skin, which is much more common.

Yeah I don't think it's real at all, looks kinda cool though.

8 hours ago, uncle duke said:

Does razorback imply made from an alligator from Arkansas?

I have no clue. I've just seen that term applied to objects made from the backs of alligators with the spikes, so figured it was the same thing, so called it that.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

The genuine alligator ones are more collectable than the fake ones, of which I've seen quite  a few, I saw a beat up genuine one going for $750 on ebay, don't think it will ever sell, that sounds excessive.

Yeah there is one on there now for like $300 that is not as unique as this one. However this is in pretty rough shape. Looks fairly good from the top but the bottom is missing a fair amount of skin ad the handle is almost entirely peeled off. The silk velvet inside is pretty worn out. My great grandfather was a working musician and this definitely got used, as did the fiddle.

I'm torn on keeping it. I live in a small apartment and move every few years. I feel like it would be best for the object to be homed with someone who can repair/restore/preserve it. I'm not in a position to do that. My luthier advised me to get a functional case and leave this one at home when I originally got it. It seemed like good advice, so I don't use it at all. It just sits around...

Edited by mayflyaway
16 hours ago, mayflyaway said:

That's mine, actually. I put it up and then changed my mind so put a ridiculous price on it since there doesnt seem to be a way to cancel auctions after you post them.

I thought you can end them by going through the removal process and saying there is something wrong in the title or description of the item.

On 5/12/2021 at 5:51 AM, Shelbow said:

I thought you can end them by going through the removal process and saying there is something wrong in the title or description of the item.

I have not found any way to initiate a removal process, alas. Ebay has become much more confusing than it used to be when I occasionally sold stuff on there in the early 2000's... Pretty sure they hid it on purpose.

15 hours ago, mayflyaway said:

I have not found any way to initiate a removal process, alas. Ebay has become much more confusing than it used to be when I occasionally sold stuff on there in the early 2000's... Pretty sure they hid it on purpose.

You need to go into your account then click selling then click active. You will see a list of items on the left and some options on the far right, there will be a tiny box with a downward arrow on the right. If you click that you will get an option to end the listing.

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2021 at 1:37 PM, charliemaine said:

The case was made by Maulbetsch & Whittemore of Newark, NJ

wow! How do you know?! Can you tell me anything else? I mean, other than that my great grandfather loved it.

I figured out how to delete the listing. I had to google it.

Edited by mayflyaway
On 5/19/2021 at 6:39 PM, mayflyaway said:

wow! How do you know?! Can you tell me anything else? I mean, other than that my great grandfather loved it.

I figured out how to delete the listing. I had to google it.

I used to own one like yours. M&W cases are also known as the Bull's Head brand.

Here is more info on the company, http://www.stevekirtley.org/bullshead.htm