Maestronet Forums

I take it this is not a Suzuki Violin judging by the Auction bidding?

I'm pretty sure I read on this forum that Suzuki made some extremely high end violins at the top of their range that are quite valuable.  Someone with more knowledge will comment soon I hope.

2 minutes ago, Shelbow said:

I'm pretty sure I read on this forum that Suzuki made some extremely high end violins at the top of their range that are quite valuable.  Someone with more knowledge will comment soon I hope.

I read that too, in a couple of different (reputable) places...

The photos are horrible.  How can anybody tell anything about the fiddle from those?  The only thing I can say for sure is that it has a 2 piece bottom rib with worm damage on the bass side, some sketchy looking varnish touchups all over the back, a label that looks like it was plucked from the Dead Sea Scrolls, what appears to be screwdriver school antiquing on the top lower treble side and the neck has been out.  Looks like whatever incident that caused that particular damage may have managed to save the button, then somebody gamely stuck the whole works back in, using what appears to be vast quantities of Elmer's glue.  All in a cheap 70's case with an unremarkable bow.  If somebody is paying $7K for this I say, well bless your heart. 

• 2 weeks later...