Maestronet Forums

American tonewood dealer changes

Woodland

I just saw yesterday that Bruce at Orcas Island Tonewoods is retiring and no longer accepting new orders. I also noticed last week at the Old World Tonewood web site it's now listed as King, NC based with the email contact listed as tracy@..... I sent emails to both John Preston and Tracy and haven't heard back from either yet. It appears that Old World has changed hands but not sure what the story is.

1 hour ago, Joe Wiese said:

I have not called John yet.  But I believe Tracy worked with him for several years when John had both the Fret and Violin wood together. 

I suspect the wood is still in good hands. 

Right, I recall when tracy took over the fretted instrument woods, it also appears that he's taken over the orchestral aspect of the tonewood business judging from John's website.

15 minutes ago, MANFIO said:

Simeon Chambers closed his business probably due to the 2008 crisis. The current COVID situation may be affecting tone wood sales. 

Simeon’s going out of business sale was in 2016. 

Just talked with John.  Yes he sold his business.  He is doing well, no problems.  He is enjoying building a  lot more now.    He still works with Tracy from a distance to make sure the quality is there.

John is still the main distributor of Eugene Holtier's violin varnish.  ( I like that varnish) 

He has a new website for the varnish. 

Some moderator, please tell me if I am allowed to post the link.  It is a new site and the search engines still have listed down a page or two on results. 

2 hours ago, John Preston said:

After 15 years of supplying tonewood, and at 65 years of age, I decided to sell out.  But I do hope to keep involved - it is hard to give up entirely!  Now to concentrate on my violin making.  Thanks to all.  

John, thanks for all the great service over the years, you will be missed!

Jay Damm

On 5/8/2021 at 9:12 AM, John Preston said:

After 15 years of supplying tonewood, and at 65 years of age, I decided to sell out.  But I do hope to keep involved - it is hard to give up entirely!  Now to concentrate on my violin making.  Thanks to all.  

I’ll miss doing business with you.