Maestronet Forums

What is the Best Fine Tuner?

On 5/10/2021 at 7:19 PM, Brumcello said:

They are a great invention, but rather stressful when a string breaks and you have to be on stage in 2 minutes.

Wittner sells a guitar-style crank for faster string changes. I've got the Stew-mac one that fits in a drill chuck. that makes it fast! Of course that makes a stage side string change sound like an Indy 500 pit-stop...

14 minutes ago, Michael Appleman said:

Wittner sells a guitar-style crank for faster string changes. I've got the Stew-mac one that fits in a drill chuck. that makes it fast! Of course that makes a stage side string change sound like an Indy 500 pit-stop...

I also have a Wittner one. It slips off if one is in a hurry and the process is still slower than the traditional use. However geared pegs don't slip so its probably a reasonable compromise.  I love the idea of a crank fitted to a drill chuck. Checklist: music, rosin, endpin holder, power drill.

The shaft of the Wittner pegs is knurled with fine ridges so the strings don't slip.  Only a wrap or two of the string are necessary. I cut off a few inches of the string's end to greatly reduce the amount of peg turning which makes it much faster to do.

A drop of super glue on the cut string end prevents the silk from unwrapping.  I found it is best to put the glue on and let it thoroughly dry before installing the strings.

After filing down the screw tip I noticed a small improvement.  I decided to go ahead and try the Gotz adjuster anyway.  It was only $10 through Amazon and it installed easily.  The quality seems quite good and the hook is pre-finished with no sharp edges.  It fit perfectly and looks fantastic.  The mechanism works smoothly and provides adequate adjustment.  Not sure if my ears are deceiving me, but it seems to have improved the clarity of the instrument a bit.  I am satisfied thus far.  Thanks all for the input.

99540A0B-B4AD-4AF5-A776-B853D2B43F00.jpeg

On 5/13/2021 at 1:31 PM, Marty Kasprzyk said:

A drop of super glue on the cut string end prevents the silk from unwrapping.  I found it is best to put the glue on and let it thoroughly dry before installing the strings.

Although I haven't had to cut my strings to length, this is a neat trick! 

On 5/17/2021 at 8:37 PM, John Alexander said:

After filing down the screw tip I noticed a small improvement.  I decided to go ahead and try the Gotz adjuster anyway.  It was only $10 through Amazon and it installed easily.  The quality seems quite good and the hook is pre-finished with no sharp edges.  It fit perfectly and looks fantastic.  The mechanism works smoothly and provides adequate adjustment.  Not sure if my ears are deceiving me, but it seems to have improved the clarity of the instrument a bit.  I am satisfied thus far.  Thanks all for the input.

On 5/18/2021 at 3:57 AM, D27 said:

Götz loop end Gold.

I also use a Hill style E adjuster (think it's made by Wittner) to maximise the afterlength and keep it relatively constant across all 4 strings short of using a tailpiece with integrated adjusters. I wonder if you, like me, use a string protector (https://www.thestringzone.co.uk/protective-insert-x8-for-hill-or-english-type-e-adjuster) to reduce the chance of string breakage at the hook? In the Warchal article, they interestingly point out that the better made loop adjusters utilise harder metal, and even though the edges are rounded, there is still enough tension at particular points of the loop to potentially cause problems down the line. On the contrary, cheaper loop adjusters use softer metal which allows the string to cut into the metal thus better distributing the string tension. It kinda makes sense. Either way, Warchal suggest a string protector. They're a pain to put on without tweezers (or just sometimes pure luck), but I haven't yet had a string break on me since switching to loop end Es last year.

1 hour ago, milkpowder said:

I also use a Hill style E adjuster (think it's made by Wittner) to maximise the afterlength and keep it relatively constant across all 4 strings short of using a tailpiece with integrated adjusters. I wonder if you, like me, use a string protector (https://www.thestringzone.co.uk/protective-insert-x8-for-hill-or-english-type-e-adjuster) to reduce the chance of string breakage at the hook? In the Warchal article, they interestingly point out that the better made loop adjusters utilise harder metal, and even though the edges are rounded, there is still enough tension at particular points of the loop to potentially cause problems down the line. On the contrary, cheaper loop adjusters use softer metal which allows the string to cut into the metal thus better distributing the string tension. It kinda makes sense. Either way, Warchal suggest a string protector. They're a pain to put on without tweezers (or just sometimes pure luck), but I haven't yet had a string break on me since switching to loop end Es last year.

Perhaps Warchal strings are more delicate.  I have never used string protectors and never broke an e-string at the loop.  But I do change my strings out regularly.

On 5/19/2021 at 9:50 AM, milkpowder said:

I don't use a string protector, I've been using that Götz loop end Gold fine tuner for a year and a half and never broke any string.

4 minutes ago, D27 said:

I don't use a string protector, I've been using that Götz loop end Gold fine tuner for a year and a half and never broke any string.

Good to know. Those string protector thingy's are a real pita

Warchal strings aren't really any more delicate. The manufacturer seems to be addressing the fact that some things are really the player's own responsibility, and providing instruction. Good value proposition, in my book.