Maestronet Forums

How/When did you know it was “the one” for you???

LilHobbit

Almost 2 years ago, I upgraded from a 7/8th size violin by Gregory Sapp to a 2016 violin by Jack Hu of Snow Violins.  I loved the size of the Sapp as playing was much easier for me but was frustrated by the lack of projection and sound from the slightly smaller instrument.  I looked at many instruments but finally settled on the Hu violin because of it’s robust sound.  I had hoped that I could swap strings on it and find a little more sweetness to its’ tone, particularly in the lower registers but so far have had no luck.  While it’s a beautiful instrument, I honestly still feel “awkward” playing it and find that I just can’t seem to connect with this violin the way I did with my Sapp. 

What has been your experience when it comes to finding “the one”?  Have you purchased a violin thinking it was the last one just to realize later that it wasn’t it after all?  Did a different string/bow set-up solve the problem?  Or did you go searching again for a new violin?  Did you know immediately upon playing it was the last violin you’d ever want?  Or did it have to grow on you a bit first?

Heading back to my local violin shop tomorrow to take a look at some instruments both 7/8 and full size.  Hoping that I’ll find my forever violin there this time!

On the Sapp, I had used mainly Oliv with the Gold E string.  I tried a few others including Obligato and Infeld.  Sound quality was fantastic with a beautiful lower register and the E string was very sweet.  It just wouldn’t project at all which was frustrating.  On the new Hu, it was originally strung with Dominants.  I tried Pirastro Gold, Kaplan Amo, Infeld and now have Warchal Amber on it.  The Warchal has had the best sound so far but it still lacks any sort of sweetness.

I love my 7/8s violin, But I also Love my full size... I believe that it is impossible to love just one, because, just like people, they come with so many different personalities so you can love them in so many different ways. My solution to this one has been "never limit yourself to just one violin". I also find that some days I'm more in the mood for the 7/8s than full size and vice versa. 

However, I'd say travel around if none of the violins at the local shop suit you, because, of course, the more broad the selection, the more likely you are to find that love of your life.

As for setup and strings, most shops will have set up the violins to bring out their best traits, and likewise with the strings. So if you like a violin enough to buy it, then swapping strings will probably be more of a personal taste issue

I don't think I could ever sell the violin I currently play, but I may surprise myself one day. I will most likely just add to my collection.

:lol: 

P.S I just switched from evah greens to Warchal Ambers on my main violin and I am loving them

3 minutes ago, Flattmountain said:

I love my 7/8s violin, But I also Love my full size... I believe that it is impossible to love just one, because, just like people, they come with so many different personalities so you can love them in so many different ways. My solution to this one has been "never limit yourself to just one violin". I also find that some days I'm more in the mood for the 7/8s than full size and vice versa. 

However, I'd say travel around if none of the violins at the local shop suit you, because, of course, the more broad the selection, the more likely you are to find that love of your life.

As for setup and strings, most shops will have set up the violins to bring out their best traits, and likewise with the strings. So if you like a violin enough to buy it, then swapping strings will probably be more of a personal taste issue

I don't think I could ever sell the violin I currently play, but I may surprise myself one day. I will most likely just add to my collection.

:lol: 

P.S I just switched from evah greens to Warchal Ambers on my main violin and I am loving them

How easy is it to switch back-and-forth between the two sizes? When I switch from my own instrument to a student’s instrument I frequently find myself needing to adjust, and often, I hand the instrument back in frustration and say, “I need to play my own cello.”

2 minutes ago, Dwight Brown said:

Maybe Obligato on the Hu and straight green Evah Perazzi on the Sapp. I know it’s pretty expensive to experiment with strings. Some time with a luthier adjusting things might pay off.

DLB

Sadly, I sold the Sapp when I purchased the Hu violin.  I’ve contemplated trying Obligato on the Hu and that might be my next step.  Going to my Luthier tomorrow to look at other violins and see if there’s anything else to try on this Hu.

1 minute ago, PhilipKT said:

How easy is it to switch back-and-forth between the two sizes? When I switch from my own instrument to a student’s instrument I frequently find myself needing to adjust, and often, I hand the instrument back in frustration and say, “I need to play my own cello.”

it is strange.. I never had that trouble, even switching to a viola or even a 5 string violin. it never occurred to me that it needed to be disorienting, but maybe it comes from playing multiple instruments and even different violins in my genesis...

I've learned to love the 'revolving door.'  As a maker/repairman, but not an ambitious player, this may be more feasible for me than for you.  I wouldn't ever buy a violin expecting it to be the last.  That said, beware of the shockingly addictive and devastatingly expensive violin safari!  

There's no reason you shouldn't have a violin you love.  Adjustment can be a game-changer, but if your gut just isn't feeling this one, there's no sense trying to force it.  If you're looking to buy a new instrument, my best advice is that you have to know what you want.  Going into a shop and buying your favorite of the ones they show you isn't really the best method.  I've been lucky enough to play some truly fantastic fiddles (and bows) that I had no intention to own.  Because I've tried so much, I have a good sense of the specific qualities I'm looking for.  I would never consider spending money on equipment that fails to measure up to my dream.  

And it's BS that you can't find your dream violin in your price range.  It may take years of searching, but they are out there.  The best sounding violin I've ever heard was a junker.  That said, a higher budget does increase your chances of success.  

If you're waking up in the middle of the night to play your violin, that's a good indication it's 'the one.'  

I’m an “eclectic” player. I have amassed many violins in my “bottom feeder” search of low cost, high pleasure violins. Currently, I have 5 violins that I rotate through. Only one is tuned to standard. Each one has its own dynamics and I love them all, equally. So far, for me, the Warchal Amber set up on 2 of the 5 has given me the best playing experience for lower cost. 

Evah Pirazzi “weich” (low tension) have been the most successful string choice for me across the board with my small collection of both newer and antique instruments.

Years ago on this site Michael Darnton recommended low tension strings and after trying them I became a convert. 

7 hours ago, chiaroscuro_violins said:

If you're waking up in the middle of the night to play your violin, that's a good indication it's 'the one.'  

Does not quite being able to sleep and getting back up at 1:00am to play as quietly as possible count? :lol: