Maestronet Forums

What happens if bass bar and soundpost are reverse?

4 minutes ago, Don Noon said:

In this diagram, with horizontal string vibration force S, solve for the vertical components at the Bass and Treble foot.

geometry.jpg.8616e2ce5033e8a99461d90c15872278.jpg

Yes, but in itself the string rotates around a centre tangent to the string. I think anything else is an unwarranted over-simplification. Then, in order to conserve momentum the radius of rotation must increase.

9 hours ago, Don Noon said:

Reversed post and bar should make the wolf less of an issue on the high G string.

54 minutes ago, Andreas Preuss said:

If this would work, it would be a quite new and elegant approach in killing the wolf. This is something which extremely matters to players.

I'm pretty sure it would work... but you might not like the side effects.  A0 would be weaker, and the wolf on the A string would likely get a bit worse.  And all the other unpredictable tonal effects and perhaps feel.

7 minutes ago, Don Noon said:

I'm pretty sure it would work... but you might not like the side effects.  A0 would be weaker, and the wolf on the A string would likely get a bit worse.  And all the other unpredictable tonal effects and perhaps feel.

Hmmm sounds almost as if we were talking about Chemo therapy. You get rid of the disease but the side effects will kill you anyway. :wacko:

I only noticed that on my new concept violin there are some abnormalities for the signature modes, despite it sounds pretty good. So now I am looking into some well examined changes to get the result I want. At least, reversing bass bar and sound post is always reversible to the original.

On 5/1/2021 at 9:52 AM, David Burgess said:

It sounds pretty similar. (I've done it)

We were asked to convert a violin for "wrong-hand" ;) playing, and thought we'd try it without moving the bass bar first.  The person we were doing the conversion for, who had played the violin both before and after, was happy enough with the sound that we left it that way.

Interesting experiment.  I would have expected the string switch to manifest more differences.

If you try lifting the bridge feet, obviously the E string side is held down tighter.  But, on the scale of tone vibrations, perhaps that has little relevance.

The bridge afterall has a waist, and vibrations from all the strings are to some extent centralized by this.

We are used to perceiving big differences in the behavior of the treble and bass bridge feet.  But perhaps this has all most nothing to do with the arrangement of the strings on the top arc of the bridge, and almost everything to do with the strictures under the feet.

The results of your experiment suggest that nearly equal vibrational information is reaching both feet, and that the differences actually are all about different admittance of vibrations at each foot.

5 hours ago, David Beard said:

Interesting experiment.  I would have expected the string switch to manifest more differences.

The thing is, more than often our premade assumptions prevent us to explore new variables of the existing concept.

I have to say clearly that making alterations and expecting a ‘positive’ result just by doing it, usually doesn’t work. Each alteration needs the sound re-calibration for the entire structure mostly to get rid of the negative side effects.