Maestronet Forums

Jerome Thibouville Lamy Violin I Bought Today

DonTen

4 hours ago, jezzupe said:

Thanks, I believe that to be just the varnish. The way the light was reflecting made it look like a concave divet like someone had launched a golf ball off it.

I'd say overall nice find with a little attention.

Maybe?

4 hours ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

Looks like a crack in the back to me, that's been sanded down and crudely over varnished

Maybe?

3 hours ago, Blank face said:

Definitely a crack, not directly at the post but treated dreadfully. Unfortunately this reduces the value of the fiddle immensely.

IMG_2306.JPG.80890901e1a4bc77b9076ee19aab32e1.thumb.jpg.5bd9322728b79a3ee83734545b04d859.jpg

Maybe?

Better photos required.

7 hours ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

The crack is showing through the touch up varnish, that's pretty obvious to me.

I posted this before I saw the OP say there is a crack under the goop, but this is the one I was talking about!

Here's some closeups that I lightened and clarified a bit.  If you zoom in you can see it.

1448328723_thisone.thumb.jpg.cadc8e7ec262afab0b2891eedaf6cbc9.jpg

On 5/1/2021 at 12:52 AM, jezzupe said:

edit, love that couch too, awesome green color, lovely patina, original fasteners, very nice

OMG I was focused so much on the fiddle I didn't even notice that gorgeous couch!  I love it!  

6 hours ago, Jeny Mahon said:

OMG I was focused so much on the fiddle I didn't even notice that gorgeous couch!  I love it!  

I got that couch for a song at a yard sale. They practically paid me to load it up and take it! As for the fiddle I got it with the bows for $10.00 so even if it's messed up I am not really out anything.

8 hours ago, Jeny Mahon said:

I posted this before I saw the OP say there is a crack under the goop, but this is the one I was talking about!

Here's some closeups that I lightened and clarified a bit.  If you zoom in you can see it.

1448328723_thisone.thumb.jpg.cadc8e7ec262afab0b2891eedaf6cbc9.jpg

wow, good eyes, didn't see that 

20 hours ago, DonTen said:

I got that couch for a song at a yard sale. They practically paid me to load it up and take it! As for the fiddle I got it with the bows for $10.00 so even if it's messed up I am not really out anything.

That is awesome!  Excellent find!  :)

On 5/2/2021 at 4:47 PM, DonTen said:

I stated when I posted the better pics it is cracked. It sucks but yes it's cracked.

On 5/3/2021 at 3:50 AM, DonTen said:

Oh dear. But I'll give you $20  and take it off your hands. 

23 hours ago, sospiri said:

I don't know how much it's worth to a restorer but it's definitely worth doing.

Yea I kind of figured that. My other post about price was a joke.

On 5/4/2021 at 5:01 PM, sospiri said:

I don't know how much it's worth to a restorer but it's definitely worth doing.

I think that from an economical perspective, this violin with a sound post patch in the back is going to be a difficult sale when competing against other similar trade violins in very good condition.

I suspect that it may need other work besides the sound post patch, cleaning, and set-up. Many of these older French fiddles need neck re-sets to sound and play well.

Hate to say, but it's pretty clearly a write-off. The proper repair for this type of crack involves a plaster cast and quite an involved (expensive) procedure that does not stand in relation to the value of the violin after repair. I have a couple of beyond-repair violins in my scrap wood bin and they are slowly being cut up for various purposes... but I wouldn't pay $20 to add another.