Maestronet Forums

can you help me verify this?

nimrak

11 minutes ago, violinnewb said:

The OP sparks a question of mine that I hope you guys/gals can answer....was it standard practice for pegs to be inserted so far into the scroll that they jutted out the other side?  I see this in alot of these "Can you ID" posts.  

Instruments that haven't seem maintenence in a while will show that. It's just what pegs do when they get old. These pegs, however, are newish and huge. I'd have to bush them before I offered it for sale.

I guess that what I am saying is the instruments that we usually see in the "What is it" threads have come from estates or long closed cases, and pegs simply wear their way through the peg box over time. No one, I would venture, would ever do that on purpose.

7 minutes ago, violinnewb said:

The OP sparks a question of mine that I hope you guys/gals can answer....was it standard practice for pegs to be inserted so far into the scroll that they jutted out the other side?  I see this in alot of these "Can you ID" posts.  

Pegs are made longer than necessary and usually cut to length when newly fitted. On older violins they may well have been replaced. Over time as the holes wear they will allow the peg to push further in and protrude out of the other side.

Duane 88 just beat me to it!

As they appear to be almost new pegs, I wonder if the ends have been left purposely long, to give the impression of heavy use.

I think it won’t be long until the collars are grinding against the side of the pegbox, and it needs bushed, especially as they look like cheap, soft pegs, which are poorly installed.

1 minute ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

Probably the holes were so large that the only way to get the lesser size pegs to fit was to push them further in so the diameter at the peg walls is large enough to fit.

Is that what luthiers normally do?  I have seen many old violins where it seems that something was done to the peg holes to make pegs fit correctly.  I simply do not know enough about the maintenance part of violins to really know what is standard.

14 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

As they appear to be almost new pegs, I wonder if they have been left purposely long, to give the impression of heavy use.

OMG! Is that an "antiquing" practice too??? :blink:

It’s amazing how little things can be used to fool the inexperienced. Hard to know the reason here.

I have heard of people fitting antique pegs into a much newer instrument, trying to adapt an old bridge with a famous shop stamp on it, and fitting an old chin rest before the instrument went to auction.

I suppose. :mellow:

But...with my one antique violin, I had to replace the pegs because the original ones had become too short over time.

I thought the too-long pegs were a result of an amateur replacing the pegs, as is, without trimming the ends.

...like when they replace a bridge with an uncut one.

19 hours ago, nimrak said:

This guy is offering me this klotz family violin. I am hoping if someone can verify its authenticity 

Klotz family had a lot of members, still in the 20th century and maybe even some still alive, some more, some less valuable, some known, some unknown. So without finding out about the exact name of the maker this can't be neither disproved nor verified.

OTOH I can see no obvious affinity with any of the more reknown Klotz named makers.

IMO it looks like one of those "Klotz school" instruments. These photos look oddly familiar, as I have definitely seen this particular violin somewhere out there, probably on some online trading platforms. I'd say depending on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a quality instrument to play, avoid places such as ebay. If you know what you are doing, then go ahead...

On 4/25/2021 at 8:45 PM, nimrak said:

This guy is offering me this klotz family violin. I am hoping if someone can verify its authenticity 

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

5.PNG

6.PNG

7.PNG

8.PNG

9.PNG

10.PNG

11.PNG

IMHO, it's probably a Mittenwald violin from the middle 1800's that has had its original finish irreparably ruined, as well as some questionable repairs performed.  I'd consider it grossly overpriced.  For that much money you can find better at a regular shop. 

5 hours ago, W.C. said:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/msg/d/woodland-hills-violin-klotz-family-18th/7311844370.html

Definitely try it in person at a violin shop to see whether if what the seller claims is true... Craiglist deals could be shady...

Very good catch!   :)

From the ad:

"Many professional violinist that have played and seen this violin compared its sound only with the greatest master violin luthiers around the world.
Many reputable luthiers around Los Angeles area that have seen and cared for the violin had only positive comments about it. The violin is in playable condition and has a few repaired and secured cracks."

It seems MANY people have seen, played and repaired this violin! ^_^

20 hours ago, Rue said:

From the ad:

"Many professional violinist that have played and seen this violin compared its sound only with the greatest master violin luthiers around the world.
Many reputable luthiers around Los Angeles area that have seen and cared for the violin had only positive comments about it. The violin is in playable condition and has a few repaired and secured cracks."

It seems MANY people have seen, played and repaired this violin! ^_^

I can just imagine a certain long-haired hippie kid (now well known to us), who was at the Weisshaar shop in the 1970's, informing the owner of this fiddle, "Oh, yeah, I'm positive it's not worth fixing".  :lol: