Maestronet Forums

Del Gesù Template

Flattmountain

14 hours ago, chiaroscuro_violins said:

Are you sure it is a Strad F?  The Kreisler F looks somewhat like a Strad F at a casual glance.  Nothing like his later work.  If you want to copy the Kreisler, use what it came with.  Better still, trace from the poster or a correctly sized web image (if you dare). 

well that makes sense lol they had the same teacher...

yes once we saw the strangeness of it all we decided we might just dare. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, l33tplaya said:

Yes tracing for the Kreisler dG works. A note of caution, @Flattmountain: I ordered a Kreisler template from Int'l, and the scroll was 4mm too long. IIRC, there were other measurements off other parts off also, but usually w/i1 mm; perhaps there was one other off by 2mm.  In any case, my instructor - an esteemed denizen of these very forums! - spotted it from across his desk.  Seriously, he's that good.

I was able to return it to Int'l, and supposedly it was eventually corrected by the manufacturer (don't remember if it was Herdim), but at that point, I gave up: I trace (actually, photocopy with a full size 100% copy machine), then laminate.  With a bunch of Strad posters, I theoretically have access to a range of "templates". Don't ask how many I have done, though. :D 

we had the same problem and will probably end up with the same results as far as the scroll. we are not going for an exact copy, just an 'Inspired by'. we, all together, are making three (he has another apprentice, Amanda) luckily the violin I currently play is a Guarneri too.

image.png.776e1470aae7268435d2061d49ebd867.png

this one's mine :lol:

4 hours ago, sospiri said:

Agreed

Do you play mountain music? 

it does make more sense now... apparently his Italian meister liked to stick to strad

I do in fact play mountain music :lol: and I learn from a mountain man with a mountain of a dog

image.png.077593be0b726ae4588bedfd43f80f71.png

she's one year old

18 minutes ago, Flattmountain said:

it does make more sense now... apparently his Italian meister liked to stick to strad

I do in fact play mountain music :lol: and I learn from a mountain man with a mountain of a dog

image.png.077593be0b726ae4588bedfd43f80f71.png

she's one year old

Who trained who in Cremona in the late 17th/early 18th century is a mystery, but they were all part of the Amati tradition.

It looks like you are having fun and have a good teacher.

11 hours ago, Bodacious Cowboy said:

Why "if you dare"? Is there some kind of peril involved?

You can usually find the Strad poster images online, but they're never sized correctly.  You have to resize them absolutely perfectly, which is a challenge, and then trace them accurately, which is often difficult because of low resolution.  I much prefer to use the actual poster; I've only traced when I left my posters at home and needed a template quick.  

7 hours ago, Flattmountain said:

we had the same problem and will probably end up with the same results as far as the scroll. we are not going for an exact copy, just an 'Inspired by'. we, all together, are making three (he has another apprentice, Amanda) luckily the violin I currently play is a Guarneri too.

image.png.776e1470aae7268435d2061d49ebd867.png

this one's mine :lol:

If you haven't already cut them, I would correct the block sizes: the upper and lower blocks are too deep and the upper block is too narrow, usually it is always wider than the lower one. My favorite measurements are 50mm for the lower one and 60mm for the upper one, also applicable to del Gesù. About 15 mm in thickness would be enough for both. The corner blocks are too big, the measures of del Gesù are 24 mm high for both upper and lower corners (equal height, contrary to Stradivari which always has the upper ones higher than the lower ones ) and about 12 mm deep. The size of the corner blocks will affect the curves you are going to cut, in my opinion it is better to respect the size that Guarneri used if you want to obtain a similar result in a simpler and more intuitive way.

2007892399_PlowdenribsCTscan.thumb.jpg.96d1268b1aff8ed0e2dd59e04d77dee6.jpg1379022897_IHS1732Armingaud-BlancoCornerblocks.thumb.jpg.3dd5f4085a201f95201291ef30a9329c.jpg

2 hours ago, Davide Sora said:

If you haven't already cut them, I would correct the block sizes: the upper and lower blocks are too deep and the upper block is too narrow, usually it is always wider than the lower one. My favorite measurements are 50mm for the lower one and 60mm for the upper one, also applicable to del Gesù. About 15 mm in thickness would be enough for both. The corner blocks are too big, the measures of del Gesù are 24 mm high for both upper and lower corners (equal height, contrary to Stradivari which always has the upper ones higher than the lower ones ) and about 12 mm deep. The size of the corner blocks will affect the curves you are going to cut, in my opinion it is better to respect the size that Guarneri used if you want to obtain a similar result in a simpler and more intuitive way.

2007892399_PlowdenribsCTscan.thumb.jpg.96d1268b1aff8ed0e2dd59e04d77dee6.jpg1379022897_IHS1732Armingaud-BlancoCornerblocks.thumb.jpg.3dd5f4085a201f95201291ef30a9329c.jpg

we will take the blocks themselves down. the mould just gives me the general shape. speaking of blocks, I have an end block and saddle crack, and rib shortening repair going simultaneously on the same violin... fun times

9 hours ago, sospiri said:

Who trained who in Cremona in the late 17th/early 18th century is a mystery, but they were all part of the Amati tradition.

It looks like you are having fun and have a good teacher.

I will have to remember that...

I really am. Demayomeister and I are very similar in very many ways, and so we are good friends which helps a lot :lol: plus his Italian mafia accent makes for some great jokes