Maestronet Forums

Hi Martin, I appreciate your thoughts.  I know you are a fine and knowledgeable dealer.  I am sure you have an impeccable inventory of the best instruments and bows.  I’m fairly certain my bows would not be up to your high standards nor that of your discerning clients.  But I do believe there is a retail market for these items and they would bring a greater sum than what I paid in some cases and in others I would likely make a full recovery. There will always be a buyer if the condition is good and the price is right.  Especially if the item is certified and historically significant.
Regarding your value proposition, for the discerning client looking for the very best and willing to spend top dollar that is great.  You utilize your expertise to scour the globe in search of rare treasures and present an exquisite collection at ultra-premium prices.  I see the value and I respect what you do.  But not every buyer is looking for that level of quality or looking to spend that sort of money.  From an investment perspective, when I purchase an item from a high-end retail shop like yours I may never be able to recover my cost upon resale due to the top-end acquisition.

Years ago folks would order instruments and bows from companies like Wurlitzer via print catalog sight unseen without playing them.  It was quite common and people must have had good experiences because they did it for decades.  Most of Tarisio customers are global and buy the same way.  I believe they typically sell 2-4 million USD per auction.  I reckon at least $20M in annual sales.  They must be doing something right.

11 hours ago, germain said:

Paying 2X/3X at retail when an option like Tarisio is available is also something I don't understand.  

Anything that's of real quality, all original, great weight and balance, strong stick, excellent condition goes for close to retail at Tarisio, sometimes above retail if there are two super-keen buyers who just have to have it ... and I have to be honest and say that most things go for more than I believe they are worth or than I would want to sell them for. The sense of a single opportunity and of competition simply makes people go soft in the head, and the online platforms, ticking clocks etc are very addictive.

The idea that items at auction sell for 1/3 to 1/2 of their retail value is an illusion. Just because something has a nominal retail value doesn't mean it would ever successfully sell for that amount in a shop.

I'm not saying there aren't bargains to be had from time to time, but a lot of what's happening at auction is a jaundiced dealer selling something they have despaired of, and a less jaundiced dealer buying it, only to hold on to it for a few years before becoming equally jaundiced and putting it back into auction.

11 hours ago, John Alexander said:

From an investment perspective, when I purchase an item from a high-end retail shop like yours I may never be able to recover my cost upon resale due to the top-end acquisition.

I would say the opposite is true - many auctioned items are in some way compromised or problematic, whereas pure and great examples will always sell at high prices. Clean items that function well as musical tools only become rarer as history takes its inevitable toll.

15 hours ago, martin swan said:

Anything that's of real quality, all original, great weight and balance, strong stick, excellent condition goes for close to retail at Tarisio, sometimes above retail if there are two super-keen buyers who just have to have it ...

Absolutely true when it comes to the most pristine items, but from a players perspective (or advancing conservatory student) on a limited budget why buy lets say an Audinot for 25K EURO ( dealer price) when at an auction you can get one for 15K or less. Some really nice sounding examples I played at Tarisio didn't even reach $15K from what I remember.

Germain, if I lived close to NYC I would definitely visit and try the items beforehand.  But it is not possible for me to travel there so it’s a bit of a gamble.  Tarisio has been very helpful with answering questions and providing sound samples and additional photos when requested.  I’m sure nothing beats being there in person though.

On 4/23/2021 at 6:05 PM, John Alexander said:

Years ago folks would order instruments and bows from companies like Wurlitzer via print catalog sight unseen without playing them.  It was quite common and people must have had good experiences because they did it for decades.  Most of Tarisio customers are global and buy the same way.  I believe they typically sell 2-4 million USD per auction.  I reckon at least $20M in annual sales.  They must be doing something right.

Yup, but they're small potatoes alongside giants like eBay.  :Douttahere.gif..gif.f36ccb3566264dd2279ff1d2938e0de8.gif

7 hours ago, John Alexander said:

I’m not brave enough to buy on eBay.  Seems like the Wild West - anything goes.  I do feel quite safe buying from Tarisio. 

Tarisio is really wonderful. My wife’s daughter lives in New York and works in Manhattan and every time we visit I make a pilgrimage to Tarisio.

I used to also visit Frank Music, which is one floor down, but tragically they have closed.

One disappointment was that the items they have for private sale are not available for a trial period.

But seriously, it can’t be that expensive to fly to New York, go to New York it’s been a couple of hours there. Then go upstairs to Salchow’s shop and look at his bows.

6 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

But seriously, it can’t be that expensive to fly to New York, go to New York it’s been a couple of hours there. Then go upstairs to Salchow’s shop and look at his bows.

Yes Philip perhaps after the pandemic has completely ended I will make a pilgrimage of my own!  Do you know how the private sales work?  Do they start at a particular price range?

18 minutes ago, John Alexander said:

Yes Philip perhaps after the pandemic has completely ended I will make a pilgrimage of my own!  Do you know how the private sales work?  Do they start at a particular price range?

I have no idea. They offered to show me some private sales items, I said sure, they brought me some I said wow these are great can I take this at home, and they said no. I said, “yes but I need to try it on my own cello.” And they smiled and said, “no.” I can play all I want on site but that’s all.

I’m not suggesting that they were being unreasonable, it’s just that that’s one of the rules in, that’s OK.

Update...  I received the bow yesterday via FedEx.  As usual, Tarisio did a nice job with the protective packaging and it was delivered on time as expected.  The bow itself is in excellent condition.  The wood is nicely figured and has no cracks or scratches.  The frog and button are also in excellent condition with beautiful pearl accents and polished metal.  The craftsmanship overall appears to be very nice in my opinion.  It is well balanced and feels weightless in the hand with easy off the string handling.  It produces a very agreeable sound with rich overtones.  I am pleasantly surprised by this bow as it has turned out to much more than I was expecting, especially given the price.  I think I will be keeping it in my collection.