Maestronet Forums

Helmuth Stone Gallery auction

Well I wouldn't get to excited by any of them or believe any labels, but some of them are interesting enough to a bottom feeder like myself if they were cheap enough.

@Landolfi aren't these yours? The poggi was the one you showed earlier. There's nothing big here except a bunch of the 'usual'. Most of these have been shown in posts where you asked for identification or what people thought of the sound.

The estimates on the violins are what's expected for low level violins. There's nothing here that can be proved to be 'exciting' or ground breaking. If you had a collection that was worth something, then you'd have gone to Tarisio or Skinner's and had them auction it. Basically you are hyping your own auction. My guess is you'd do better selling on Ebay if you want more excitement.

Clearing out the garage?

3 minutes ago, gizmomonster said:

Could it be that a unscrupulous buyer might buy it for the label to pass it off as an authentic one onto an unsuspecting buyer?

But of course!

There is no end to what the unscrupulous will do! ^_^

Considering the auction house is charging a minimum of 30% commission, and the cost to properly pack and ship eight fiddles insured from California (presumably, since it's stated in the listing a "private California collection") to Florida, the final payout comes up to just over $1K a fiddle.  Hopefully somebody was able to get a little profit out of them, anyway. 

8 minutes ago, fragslap said:

I'll ask again, does anyone know anything about "Workshop of Young Violins" in San Francisco? I never heard of them and Google isn't helping. 

I tried to look into this. The only thing I could think of was Robert Brewer Young, who has some affiliation with San Francisco and sometimes runs some outreach workshops for young people there as well as France I think...........  That is probably very far fetched though. He is currently based in the UK.

This is probably completely wrong though.

14 hours ago, Shelbow said:

I tried to look into this. The only thing I could think of was Robert Brewer Young, who has some affiliation with San Francisco and sometimes runs some outreach workshops for young people there as well as France I think...........  That is probably very far fetched though. He is currently based in the UK.

This is probably completely wrong though.

The thing is that -- to me at least -- the "Feury" violin looks older than something from 2014. So it's either a good job of antiquing or else a fake label. But if it's a fake label, why would anyone choose a "maker" by a non-descript, perhaps non-existent, group calling itself "Workshop of Young Violins"?