$120 Wen bench belt sander from Amazon, a bucket of cold water, and a towel. Buy the gouges you want, then take an hour or so and grind them on the back until they're down to the thickness you want. 

Advantages: you can grind them thinner than you can buy something. You can make them the same thickness across the width, which the maker may or may not have done. You get to have the best gouges, not just the ones that are sold thin.

1 hour ago, Michael Darnton said:

$120 Wen bench belt sander from Amazon, a bucket of cold water, and a towel. Buy the gouges you want, then take an hour or so and grind them on the back until they're down to the thickness you want. 

Advantages: you can grind them thinner than you can buy something. You can make them the same thickness across the width, which the maker may or may not have done. You get to have the best gouges, not just the ones that are sold thin.

Disadvantage: you have bought something from the evil empire that is Amazon. 

2 hours ago, Michael_Molnar said:

For detail work I use thin small Japanese gouges sold as “Power Cut” and “Warren”.

Google for these.

I use those too; the steel is quite good quality. Their stubby fishtail gouge is very useful too.

3 hours ago, Michael_Molnar said:

For detail work I use thin small Japanese gouges sold as “Power Cut” and “Warren”.

Google for these.

Shame Warren seem to not offer shipping outside of the US and Canada. These look great.

On 4/14/2021 at 10:05 AM, Shelbow said:

Shame Warren seem to not offer shipping outside of the US and Canada. These look great.

I'm sure there are more than a few members who would accept it, and then ship it to you.

I use these and I love them. The steel is excellent. I sharpen them on a buffing wheel. I use them for arching, graduating (I also use planes and scrapers :-) ) They are lightweight, and have nice basswood handles. The prices are very reasonable, and from the amount of use I've given them, I expect them to last a long time. The blade that protrudes from the handle is much longer than what shows, so can by pulled out and reset as they grind down. Browse their website as they have many different gouge widths and sweep and skews that are similar to the photo below.

https://hidatool.com/item/2165631471799_ScreenShot2021-04-17at11_57_21AM.thumb.png.1bb51ec9c2cbd68439a5afca7b5f8c72.png

I don't grind mine too thin, I don't think. Like you, I work hard and fast. My favorite gouge is an old Addis, about 1" x #3, and that's 2.5mm thick, so that's what I ground all of mine down to. For me, it's mostly a matter of balance. Someone showed me a Flexigouge once, and it seemed uncomfortably whippy.

I don't like that type with the short steel in the long wood. They're nice to use, but hard to hollow grind accurately, the way I do it. Other grinding systems might do better.

On 4/17/2021 at 8:56 AM, Steven Bollman said:

I use these and I love them. The steel is excellent. I sharpen them on a buffing wheel. I use them for arching, graduating (I also use planes and scrapers :-) ) They are lightweight, and have nice basswood handles. The prices are very reasonable, and from the amount of use I've given them, I expect them to last a long time. The blade that protrudes from the handle is much longer than what shows, so can by pulled out and reset as they grind down. Browse their website as they have many different gouge widths and sweep and skews that are similar to the photo below.

https://hidatool.com/item/2165631471799_ScreenShot2021-04-17at11_57_21AM.thumb.png.1bb51ec9c2cbd68439a5afca7b5f8c72.png

Thanks for this! I love the power grip gouges for small work, but have often thought it would be nice to have scroll gouges like that where when one chokes up, one is still holding wood, rather than blade. 

I'd also like to plus Karlsson gouges from Sweden. Damn fine steel, extremely carefully forged and machined. Plus, it's a family forge. They are the only tools I've ever bought that didn't need fettling out of the box. Wish I could say the same about Dastra, Stubai, Hirsch, or any other large European toolmakers.