Maestronet Forums

I don't know about the inside but what I find interesting is at 0:39 the top plate appears to have dark varnish under the fingerboard.  I thought they left that area unvarnished.  

OP, at around 0:43 in the video, I'm not seeing anything I can readily identify as "inside wear", although there will always be a little inside wear from soundpost repositioning on an older instrument which has had much use. I will suggest instead that most of the color difference you are noticing is from some other cause,  such as "chalk-fitting" a soundpost.

11 hours ago, David Burgess said:

OP, at around 0:43 in the video, I'm not seeing anything I can readily identify as "inside wear", although there will always be a little inside wear from soundpost repositioning on an older instrument which has had much use. I will suggest instead that most of the color difference you are noticing is from some other cause,  such as "chalk-fitting" a soundpost.

That makes a lot of sense since the area is so large.  Thank you David!  Interestingly, I've heard about chalk-fitting but never of a soundpost.  Is this because the DG is such a high end violin?

6 hours ago, violin operator said:

That makes a lot of sense since the area is so large.  Thank you David!  Interestingly, I've heard about chalk-fitting but never of a soundpost.  Is this because the DG is such a high end violin?

No

I'll amend this to say that I've never heard of chalk fitting a sound post, and can't imagine that it could be done on ANY violin. This is something odd, and totally different. Based on a couple of seconds of poor quality video, speculation is pretty useless.

Wonderful and fascinating programme with interviews I have never seen before. The sequence in Mirecourt is beautiful - I have never bent a bow over a bowl full of charcoal, but its an idea... Thanks for posting!