Maestronet Forums

Exciting

ShadowStrad

51 minutes ago, ShadowStrad said:

I was recently showing a violin I was working on with a luthier friend of mine when he showed me a cello that the owner was wanting to sell for 1.2 million dollars.  The maker was Tononi.  It was stunning.

But how does it sound?  :ph34r:  :lol:

8 hours ago, Rue said:

No photos??? :(

I really wish I had brought my cellphone with me.  I wasn't expecting to see something like that.  It was truly a surprise to me.  What's funny is my luthier friend just picked it up and showed me all the sides of it like it was nothing.  I would be too scared to even polish it.

17 minutes ago, ShadowStrad said:

That's the question.  Apparently, he has spent a lot of time and money trying to get it to sound how he wants it to sound.  But for some reason, he's just not happy with it.  

Dear heavens........that's scary:huh:  Perhaps he should sell it to some collector in the Far East who won't care about the sound, and go see what sort of cellos are being made these days.  :)

2 hours ago, Jeny Mahon said:

I've seen some pretty amazing things before too, but I'd never post photos of a privately owned valuable instrument on a public forum unless I had permission from the owner.   

^^Yes^^

4 hours ago, Jeny Mahon said:

I've seen some pretty amazing things before too, but I'd never post photos of a privately owned valuable instrument on a public forum unless I had permission from the owner.   

That's a VERY good point.  It's a good thing I didn't have my cellphone with me.  I also doubt my luthier friend who is getting it ready would have allowed me to photograph it.  

No, you'd need permission, but you can take "anonymous"pictures of an instrument. By that I mean with no features that would link to the location of the instrument or owner or luthier, etc , but still provide some eye candy.

18 minutes ago, Rue said:

No, you'd need permission, but you can take "anonymous"pictures of an instrument. By that I mean with no features that would link to the location of the instrument or owner or luthier, etc , but still provide some eye candy.

^^Still no.^^

Putting private pictures of somebody's instrument on the web for public discussion and evaluation without their express permission is unethical, whether or not it is linked to an owner, luthier, or whatever. The web is forever. 

?

I clearly said "no" to unauthorized photos.

I said was that any permitted photos can, and likely should, be cropped (or whatever) in a manner to make ID (or the instrument, owner, luthier) unlikely.