Is this violin french?

1 hour ago, nathan slobodkin said:

Back to the violin. While I have an awful time seeing anything from pictures on a computer this looks like a pretty well made violin with some (slightly mixed up) style. Any one else want to weigh in on age or origin?

Assuming Philip is too idle to send it back, which I expect, he will have to (have the) belly opened to repair the “2 new belly cracks”. This will provide the opportunity to post plan view pictures of the corner blocks, which should remove any doubt

53 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Assuming Philip is too idle to send it back, which I expect, he will have to (have the) belly opened to repair the “2 new belly cracks”. This will provide the opportunity to post plan view pictures of the corner blocks, which should remove any doubt

If they allow a return I shall certainly return it. If they do not, yes the top will come off and I will share detailed interior photos.

Definitely not French.

A while ago I had a cello in my shop which looked pretty French too. But certain details were just not French enough. A little later I saw a twin on the auction with an original Matthias Neuner label. That explained all to me.

I don't see anything French about it ...

On the subject of cracks, there is one long crack coming off the right edge of the saddle that does travel sufficiently to the right not to be strictly speaking a post crack, but there's another parallel crack to the left of it which is directly in line with the post.

5 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Maybe he could also take a photo from the scroll front from a better angle, making it possible to see how deep it's really fluted?

3 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Yes, I don't expect him to send it back. Beats the shit out of a Jusek:D

Holy smokes! A compliment! :lol:

9 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Well, that's it then.  You can't return it now..............Too many counting on a result.  Put me down for the early 20thC Mitt

On 4/7/2021 at 3:02 PM, GeorgeH said:

I agree with @sospiri - it looks like an old dirty crack, not exposed fresh wood.

The original (auction?) pictures that @PhilipKT posted (detail below) are not high enough resolution to see it.

bout.jpg

It's a nasty piece of wood in that the grain is curving around a branch. It should have been discarded. It's a shame because otherwise it looks well made.

Posted (edited)

Update: the seller did allow a return, and I’m very grateful.

however I did show the violin to my luthier guy who said he liked it much better in person. He said,”this is actually a really nice little violin.”

He said it did have some French elements, but overall it looked a German, so we joked a little bit about whether it was a German maker living in France

He said he could repair it well But he recommended returning it if possible, and in one of those rare bits of good fortune I was allowed to do so.

Edited by PhilipKT