Is this violin french?

I bought this violin, it was damaged in shipping and I have requested a return. While waiting for them to get back to me, I showed the violin to my guy, Who says it looks nice, and despite the two new cracks on the top it should clean up and be a very nice violin. We discussed whether it was French, and he says that it has French elements but also German ones, but it’s nice enough that I wanted to share with you folks and ask what you had to say.

Scroll is fluted all the way, the scroll eyes are flat, There is a pronounced Delta on the end of the school, the peg box is blackened. There’s a two piece bottom rib, the rib ends are mitered, I think, And the linings appear to be mortised into the corner blocks, but I can’t be sure. The varnish is a lovely red color. I don’t have the proper descriptive vocabulary but it looks nice.

Any thoughts?

PS. Does the purfling reveal anything?

F64AED44-4E6A-47FD-8BEA-060F2E469734.jpeg

60623762-96FA-48BA-A463-3E867BC572B2.jpeg

334A619E-D667-4806-BF5B-C10453B61E40.jpeg

0C583E64-B239-4EC5-BF84-13FC2D367951.jpeg

E0209534-5AE2-4092-A987-E6254371F7A6.jpeg

6903EF65-A0DE-4F16-8E69-5F18B4E874CD.jpeg

DB5660A5-73F5-49E0-BD2E-AFBACD8C5CE2.jpeg

DC151414-727C-4C62-8AFD-DC5A1E08100D.jpeg

2B5A7838-60F2-4664-9324-EFFC4EC838C9.jpeg

67AEEF76-1A20-4024-86F5-E995BF65696D.jpeg

F09FC74C-B851-4A50-B956-581E063F44A6.jpeg

84AE2E54-530A-4FF7-B610-6C6234BD9315.jpeg

A527B8CE-1C97-429A-A608-4DE2A3E12BCD.jpeg

AB90D3BD-938A-4EBA-B1CA-3875752B46BA.jpeg

Edited by PhilipKT
1 minute ago, PhilipKT said:

It’s not. The chin Rest crack is not in the auction photos and the large crack was less than half this length

Can't you ask for an 80% discount or something.

9 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

It’s not. The chin Rest crack is not in the auction photos and the large crack was less than half this length

There are also 2 cracks at the top to the left.

Something fishy here. 

7 minutes ago, Shelbow said:

Can't you ask for an 80% discount or something.

I’m waiting to hear back from them, they may offer something. I think it’s a lovely violin, but I’m tired of restoration projects.

It’s like that old far side cartoon Showing the lions on the Serengeti. 
And one of them says to the others in the group, “I’m tired of this ‘Weeding out the old and infirm’ stuff. I want something in its prime!”

2 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

I’m waiting to hear back from them, they may offer something. I think it’s a lovely violin, but I’m tired of restoration projects.

And one of them says to the others in the group, “I’m tired of this ‘Weeding out the old and infirm’ stuff. I want something in its prime!”

I know what you mean! Gary Larson is a legend!

6 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Are you sure that your situation, based on your previous picks, isn't closer to this?   :lol:

Vultures.jpg.a896cbb3ab18a3fff5a501491dc1459f.jpg

17 minutes ago, sospiri said:

There are also 2 cracks at the top to the left.

Something fishy here. 

Those are preexisting. The treble f crack was lengthened in shipping and the chin rest crack is new.

30 minutes ago, deans said:

I might change my mind to M-wald too.

Doesn’t Mittenwald end the scroll fluting at 6 and have an inletted saddle and hmmm something about the ribs that I can’t remember. 
I guess it isn’t French...

5 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Those are preexisting. The treble f crack was lengthened in shipping and the chin rest crack is new.

I think the good news is that the saddle crack didn't pass through the sound post area but that's because the grain is so far out of aligngnment. 

31 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

no, to the back of the class

Was I Backwards? I’ve been getting stuff backwards all my life. To this day when I take my blood pressure I get diastolic and systolic mixed up, and I don’t remember whether my LDL is supposed to be high and my HDL is supposed to be low or vice versa

24 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Was I Backwards? I’ve been getting stuff backwards all my life. To this day when I take my blood pressure I get diastolic and systolic mixed up, and I don’t remember whether my LDL is supposed to be high and my HDL is supposed to be low or vice versa

That's what's keeping you healthy, not knowing. 

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

... and I don’t remember whether my LDL is supposed to be high and my HDL is supposed to be low or vice versa

I use mnemonics.

LDL...L = Lethal (and L for Low)

HDL...H = Healthy (and H for High)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rue said:

I use mnemonics.

LDL...L = Lethal (and L for Low)

HDL...H = Healthy (and H for High)

Unfortunately I forget the Numonics too. “L means low, but does LDL mean I want it to be low or it is low and I want it to be high?”

If Jacob knew how my mind worked he would be a little bit more patient. But he would definitely cultivate the genius that lies somewhere within.

Edited by PhilipKT
4 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Unfortunately I forget the Numonics too. “L means low, but does LDL mean I want it to be low or it is low and I want it to be high?”

If Jacob knew how my mind worked he would be a little bit more patient. But he would definitely cultivate the genius that lies somewhere within.

LDL = Low density lipoproteins = Lousy :(

HDL = High density lipoproteins = Happy :D

Simples !! ;)

5 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

If Jacob knew how my mind worked he would be a little bit more patient.

In the olden days we had this little black notebooks for things which we confused too easily. Today I have a note and a memory app at my phone.;) Also very good to record some short vocal or instrumental phrasings, lyric lines of a song and more.

9 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Scroll is fluted all the way

By the photo it's not what I would call fluted to the bitter end. Though I agree that it has a lot of Mittenwald features, f.e. varnish, shape of the ff or purfling it's not exactly like the usual Verleger.