Maestronet Forums

Strad Poster Enquire

GerardM

Hello again I have received a poster from the Strad Magazine of the Guarneri Plowden. Which will be my next project. Looking at the arching it shows the distorted arching as it is now. What do I do? Make templates of this distorted arching. Perhaps take the side that looks the least out of shape and use that for both sides? Or another option draw my own half templates while using the ones on the poster for guidance as I map out the templates. I was thinking of using small squared graph paper to assist with accuracy. Thanks G

I am not sure what the best technique is, but for my young son who is making his first viola, I believe that they are picking the pretty side of the viola model and flipping it. The idea is that because it's his first instrument it will likely be asymmetrical anyway, so you don't want to work in asymmetry into the design before it finds its way there anyway.

3 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

One strategy (that I use) for the cross arches is to trace the cross arches, then flip the tracing paper over and retrace so that the treble and bass sides are overlapping. Then make your template so that it averages the two lines. 

Ahh never thought about that, VERY good idea thanks. Would I be correct in thinking that in fact technically both sides of the arching will not be as original. As one side is forced  down so distorting the other side up?

Edited by GerardM
Left something out

10 minutes ago, GerardM said:

Ahh never thought about that, VERY good idea thanks. Would I be correct in thinking that in fact technically both sides of the arching will not be as original. As one side is forced  down so distorting the other side up?

Yes, both treble and bass sides will distort in opposite direction, but not perfectly. There is also longitudinal distortion. "Correcting" the long arch is less straightforward, and providing advice here is overreaching my experience level. There is a long arch thread pinned at the top of the pegbox under reference links.

After making your cross arches, you can then cut them in half making half-arch templates which can then fit a range of long arch shapes and heights (within reason).