Hi. What could this be? It has a repair label from 1852. Four corner blocks, and the scroll fluting goes all the way in. Sorry about the bad photos from the inside. My inspection camera isn't top notch. Let me know if I should upload more photos.

Thanks!

DSC01750.JPG

DSC01752.JPG

DSC01753.JPG

DSC01755.JPG

DSC01756.JPG

DSC01758.JPG

DSC01759.JPG

DSC01760.JPG

DSC01761.JPG

DSC01762.JPG

WIN_20210331_19_42_58_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210331_19_43_48_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210331_19_44_48_Pro.jpg

6 hours ago, Rue said:

Interesting pegs.  Hand carved replacements at some point?

I came here to say this too!  I think they're pretty old and possibly English? I've seen them on fiddles a few times.  I'm a sucker for cool antique pegs!

@Michael Darnton has this excellent information on his page:

http://darntonviolins.com/old-pegs-a-friend-pulled-these-out-of-an-old/

Thanks, everybody! I never even thought about the pegs being interesting.

To be honest, I'm a bit uncertain about the wood in both the neck and the back/sides. It doesn't quite look like regular maple to me, but I may be wrong. Any opinions?

Good spot.

So where does that put it ?

And do the pegs give a clue or are they just a red herring ?

I would love to know where the f-holes with the big bottom eyes point to as I have one that is similar.

When I'm seeing this pegs I'm considering that it could be also English. Some of these can be look very close to Mnk/Schb and have also a through neck. The fully fluted scroll could be another feature pointing there, if it was originally done this way. OTOH the violin was possibly stripped, possibly sanded, and such a procedure could have blurred a lot. It could be interesting to know what the repair label is telling.

2 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Where I "put it" last wednesday

I was in no way questioning your expertise, I just wondered if you had missed the through neck which Bruce Carlson spotted, and might re-attribute it to something else like Salzkammergut ?

1 hour ago, Delabo said:

I was in no way questioning your expertise, I just wondered if you had missed the through neck which Bruce Carlson spotted, and might re-attribute it to something else like Salzkammergut ?

There are no end of mysterious things in the violin world. I don’t think the OP fiddle is one of them though

1 hour ago, Delabo said:

Actually it was me that spotted the through neck back on Wednesday, Bruce just asked if it had one.

21 hours ago, Blank face said:

When I'm seeing this pegs I'm considering that it could be also English. Some of these can be look very close to Mnk/Schb and have also a through neck. The fully fluted scroll could be another feature pointing there, if it was originally done this way. OTOH the violin was possibly stripped, possibly sanded, and such a procedure could have blurred a lot. It could be interesting to know what the repair label is telling.

Interesting. I don't remember exactly what the label says, but it had a name and the city Christiania. I'll post a picture when I'm back home next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Christiania is the old name for Oslo. I have a 1770s Swedish violin with similar inside construction. Without that, one of my clues to early English violins is oversize f-hole eyes, which this violin has. Some other points also look British to me, but I'd accept Sweden if that's what the label says.