Maestronet Forums

Violin ID #6

tetler

6 hours ago, Rue said:

Interesting pegs.  Hand carved replacements at some point?

I came here to say this too!  I think they're pretty old and possibly English? I've seen them on fiddles a few times.  I'm a sucker for cool antique pegs!

@Michael Darnton has this excellent information on his page:

http://darntonviolins.com/old-pegs-a-friend-pulled-these-out-of-an-old/

When I'm seeing this pegs I'm considering that it could be also English. Some of these can be look very close to Mnk/Schb and have also a through neck. The fully fluted scroll could be another feature pointing there, if it was originally done this way. OTOH the violin was possibly stripped, possibly sanded, and such a procedure could have blurred a lot. It could be interesting to know what the repair label is telling.

2 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Where I "put it" last wednesday

I was in no way questioning your expertise, I just wondered if you had missed the through neck which Bruce Carlson spotted, and might re-attribute it to something else like Salzkammergut ?

1 hour ago, Delabo said:

I was in no way questioning your expertise, I just wondered if you had missed the through neck which Bruce Carlson spotted, and might re-attribute it to something else like Salzkammergut ?

There are no end of mysterious things in the violin world. I don’t think the OP fiddle is one of them though

21 hours ago, Blank face said:

When I'm seeing this pegs I'm considering that it could be also English. Some of these can be look very close to Mnk/Schb and have also a through neck. The fully fluted scroll could be another feature pointing there, if it was originally done this way. OTOH the violin was possibly stripped, possibly sanded, and such a procedure could have blurred a lot. It could be interesting to know what the repair label is telling.

Interesting. I don't remember exactly what the label says, but it had a name and the city Christiania. I'll post a picture when I'm back home next week.

• 2 weeks later...