Maestronet Forums

LOCAL AUCTION- 18th CENTURY CELLO

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See how it goes but this will be a very expensive restoration if you get a decent luthier to do it. As others have said it's probably not cost effective in reality but you have to weigh that up yourself.

2 minutes ago, Schwartzinc said:

Rue think that lowly of it, huh?

Not so much that, but just pointing out it might not be worth repairing, unless it's important to someone right now - to actually play.

1 minute ago, Shelbow said:

She just really likes wine :lol:

Not that either. I'm more a rumandcoke drinker. Dark rum too...none of this "golden rum" stuff. 

Just now, Rue said:

Not that either. I'm more a rumandcoke drinker. Dark rum too...none of this "golden rum" stuff. 

Have you had this before? It's awesome.

My gf is also a rum and coke lady

403779.jpg

2 minutes ago, Schwartzinc said:

I understand your thoughts; I notice that most comments on here are from European enthusiast, but given for a minute that it might be an 'early' American made cello- might that not make the effort worth it(?).

You might need to find an expert in the US to look at it if that is what you are hoping for. 

3 minutes ago, Shelbow said:

Have you had this before? It's awesome.

My gf is also a rum and coke lady

403779.jpg

Yup! Have had that brand! Mostly it's been Captain Morgan though.  

Just now, Rue said:

Yup! Have had that brand! Mostly it's been Captain Morgan though.  

That specific one though is the 151 proof one, nearly 80% strength! It brings the fire.

If you are this interested...then buy it and fix it up. No point in having regrets either.

The good thing (don't tell Philip!) about cellos is that even a bad cello will sound better than a bad violin, so it should at least end up functional.

Worst case is that you buy it, don't do anything with it, then store it under your bed and bring it out occasionally to look at it romatically before returning it to the abyss. I do this with a lot of violins :lol:

22 hours ago, Schwartzinc said:

$400-$800 USD

Maybe if it went for the very bottom of the estimate it might be viable. The wood for the hole seems to all be there and just needs pulling back and re-gluing  with some clever varnish touching up. Expensive to pay a luthier to do unless you feel competent to attempt it yourself.

Is the fingerboard included in the auction ?