Maestronet Forums

Bad pictures, but asking about this bow anyway

PhilipKT

20 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

How does this look? These pictures are lousy, but the only ones I have. Any thoughts?

186E7D35-D8FB-40BE-A2C1-54B8F4A2F1FF.jpeg

87475147-BC8F-45B6-89CA-F65BE65E8244.jpeg

I always ask for more photos, most auction houses or ebay sellers will oblige.  I'd ask for a photo of the whole bow to make sure it's still got a camber, and some good closeup photos of the head from all the usual angles.  

You probably already saw it, but here's the one on Tarisio.  Most recent auction price is $680 in 2018, but one sold in 2010 for $2,000.  

Might be a good deal if it's got a camber and no damage and you can get it cheap! The one on Tarisio might be a titch light at 58.5 grams.  I only say that because I thought 60g is the best weight for most players but it probably depends on the player.  

fritz.jpg

I know horses better than I know violins, but since I am here on an occasional visit, I have to say that it THAT'S all the pictures available, I would fully expect a seller to bend over backward to accommodate you over any request. Anyone who deals in used items (cars, horses, musical instruments). Any photo you request should be provided. crap; if I AM SELLING IT, whatever IT is, I will represent it to a "t", though I will be careful to include; "I do not know enough about it to satisfy you with an answer. Bid accordingly". Anything less authentic is a red flag.

1 hour ago, Brad Dorsey said:

Or, in your request for pictures, send samples of the views you would like to see.

That’s a very good idea! These photos are the result of my initial request, haha.

based on the silver mounts and the apparent quality of the wood(and the accompanying violin) I took the plunge and acquired it. I’ll share much better photos when it arrives.

13 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

I’ll share much better photos when it arrives.

If you are in the habit of buying some junk on ebay, you might prefer to wait until it has arrived, so you can check that it isn’t completely embarrassing, before you start a thread on the board;)

5 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

If you are in the habit of buying some junk on ebay, you might prefer to wait until it has arrived, so you can check that it isn’t completely embarrassing, before you start a thread on the board;)

That is also good advice. However, even though these two photos are poor, they were pretty exciting, so I shared.

5 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Besides, what’s wrong with sharing something that is completely embarrassing? Everyone needs a good laugh once in a while.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Blank face said:

Hopefully that it has also a head.

That would actually be very funny. They show a picture of 20 inches of the bow and hope that you will -erroneously- assume that the other 9 inches are also present.

A few years ago, I bought a cello that turned out to be the nicest German cello I have ever bought, and it came with a hill shop bow. The photographs in the auction listing clearly showed the right side of the bow, but did not show the left side of the bow that had been drastically gnawed on by a rat, hahahaha. The cello had been chewed on just a little bit at the F hole and that was nothing, and the other bow, a cheaper German trade bow stamped “Paul Hoyer” had been gently gnawed on, And that was also very easily fixed, but the Hill was basically ruined.

I laugh every time I think of that, it apparently never occurred to the people at the auction house that a potential buyer would be interested in seeing the other side of that bow…

the cello, BTW, Has been named, “the rat” and was acquired by the student of a colleague when one of my own students declined it. The cello has only gotten better since then.

Edited by PhilipKT