Stabilizing wire bow wrap

I'm looking for some experience based options. I have a client, who has brought in an inexpensive bow (high school daughter's). I just rehaired it for them not too long ago, but the wire wrap (plated copper wire) has started to come a little loose. I have told them that it's probably not worth the cost for me to redo the wrap and grip, when I can sell them a decent student bow for not much more. They are buying a bow, but they would like to keep the old bow as a back up. I'd like to stabilize the wire wrap. My first thought is to just put a wrap of decent clear tape around it, but I want to check to see if others have other experience. A better option might be some thin wall, clear heat shrink, but I don't have any of that on hand. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

As a player with such a bow as his primary (a Sivori; I forget if it ays Germany or W. Germany) I would go for the clear heat-shrink. Tape, even good quality, can begin to peel at the seam and ooze adhesive. Use the thinnest you can find that has the strength.

The player's familiarity with the bow counts. As long as the difference in cost is not unreasonable, and your pricing is clearly spelled out, no problem.

On 3/23/2021 at 1:50 PM, FiddleDoug said:

My first thought is to just put a wrap of decent clear tape around it, but I want to check to see if others have other experience. A better option might be some thin wall, clear heat shrink, but I don't have any of that on hand. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Hello. 

>We speak for a cheap bow, with copper wrap. (Copper wrap with silver imitation has a very low cost, but it needs some hour for wrapping, and remake the grip too. So, we forget this step)

First, you stabilize the wire with spots of CA glue (and at the same time it has to look nice, as it can be).

Then you give a clear shellac coat, with a brush, in order to unify and protect the wire.

At the end, you give a wrap with clear tape, as you said. 

Thanks for all the suggestions! The bow is back to the client! I guess that I ended up doing a combination. I first stabilized things with a little CA glue, and then overcoated the wire with a little thinned, clear adhesive (Super Glue brand Fix All Adhesive -good stuff- from the dollar store, thinned with a little Xylene). I should be fine for a back up bow. I did order a little 1/2" clear heat shrink tubing, in case this comes up in the future

11 hours ago, FiddleDoug said:

Thanks for all the suggestions! The bow is back to the client! I guess that I ended up doing a combination. I first stabilized things with a little CA glue, and then overcoated the wire with a little thinned, clear adhesive (Super Glue brand Fix All Adhesive -good stuff- from the dollar store, thinned with a little Xylene). I should be fine for a back up bow. I did order a little 1/2" clear heat shrink tubing, in case this comes up in the future

Doug, I would forget the heat shrink (feels like Shxt).  Your way is much better.  I do what Brad does, except I twist the loose winding tight (he probably does that) and a little CA.  Happens all the time on Chinese bows.  I like your over coat, never heard of Fix All Ca, but I never doubt my chemist..............

1 hour ago, baroquecello said:

@FiddleDoug isn't Xylene a rather dangerous substance?

It can be if used in excess, without proper ventilation. I spent 34 years as a chemist, so I'm well aware of the dangers and proper procedures. Why did I use xylene? Well, if you look at the label on the cement, it lists Xylene as the primary solvent, with naptha as the secondary. We're talking about less than 1 mL of solvent.

31 minutes ago, FiddleDoug said:

I've never heard that you can dilute CA glue. The stuff I'm using is a solvent based clear adhesive.

My bad... when I see Super Glue I get CA immediately in my mind. Fix All. Does it set hard or is it flexible?

Thanks for this thread, FiddleDoug. It serendipitously helps me fix my own bow

Edited by Rothwein
To add thanks
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I used this info to stabilize the loose wire on the 3/4 bow that came with the 3/4 outfit I was gifted. It, too, is copper wire. I just put a drop on it after making sure the wire was wrapped nicely. Did the trick.