Maestronet Forums

Identification: Globe-labeled violin, Africa

Sinusvag

Hello Maestros,

First time poster here.

Around 1987, I was given this violin as a gift. My family moved from Sweden to Kenya in the middle of the 80s - my father had signed up for a contract with a development agency. Anyway, having arrived there, I started studying for a former concert violinist, hailing from the UK. He had moved to Africa at the beginning of the 20th century, working and living in South Africa and (as it was to be known) Kenya. (In fact, he helped writing the national anthem for Kenya!)

When  my fathers contract was up and it was time to move back to  Sweden, my parents asked if my teacher perhaps could advise on buying a better violin for me. Long story short, they bought his 2nd violin and gave it to me. I was around 16 years old at the time.

My son has recently taken his first steps in learning the violin. Hopefully, he'll one day like this one (when he is large enough for at 4/4).

Now, for the question: I know the provenance of the instrument, even got a receipt of the last time is was adjusted down in Nairobi. But I am very curious about the actual make and where to "place" the instrument as to its style. Anyone who can help me here?

right side DSC_1118.JPG

front DSC_1117.JPG

back DSC_1119.JPG

label DSC_1097.JPG

scroll detail DSC_1130.JPG

scroll left DSC_1121.JPG

scroll right DSC_1123.JPG

scroll back DSC_1124.JPG

scroll front DSC_1122.JPG

bellyback DSC_1129.JPG

belly side DSC_1128.JPG

belly front DSC_1127.JPG

left side DSC_1120.JPG

model no DSC_1125.JPG

diagonal DSC_1132.JPG

I think the label is interesting owing to the fact that it does not proclaim the instrument to be of fancy (and thus false) origin. Also, the manufacturer was sufficiently "overt" in his dealings to use a model code on the label and duplicate the code on the instrument itself.

Strad: That was a totally awesome pattern recognition! Alas, I think the two logos do not match...

framus.JPG

label small.JPG

It's not exactly a globe, rather the EU with some surrounding countries and islands.:)

Seriously it's possible that it's a trademark of the Wilfer family (founder of Framus) from Schönbach, before they moved to Erlangen after WW II and changed it to the actual form, having learned that the world is a bit wider than Europe only.

3 hours ago, Blank face said:

Seriously it's possible that it's a trademark of the Wilfer family (founder of Framus) from Schönbach, before they moved to Erlangen after WW II and changed it to the actual form, having learned that the world is a bit wider than Europe only.

Contact link for Framus Vintage they may be able to solve the mystery....

https://www.framus-vintage.de/en/Informations/Contact/

Posted (edited)

Mystic, Blank and Strad: I have sent a question to Framus, will await reply.

A more thorough search here at MN turned up another label, quite not the same but similar:

Pity the OP did not have a camera, I have sent a DM to ask if he still has the violin.

EDIT: The answer was no, no pic avaliable!

Edited by Sinusvag

I also once had a very similar violin with a label like the one Geoff1954 drew - a blue globe showing Europe within two red concentric circles. Unfortunately, this was also pre-digital camera days for me so I didn't get a photo of the label. Like the OP violin it had a flamed one piece back, quite an elegant scroll and bone (I assume) button although the varnish looked a bit lighter. My impression at the time was that it was a nice German trade violin of better than average quality possibly c1930s. (purely a guess)

I appreciate that won't be a great deal of help but the similarity of the violin would suggest to me that the OP violin has an earlier incarnation of a label from the same company.

I also remember that a similar label was discussed here many years ago, but also without a name. But last but not least it is just a trade label of a dealer, such violins (even if this one looks quite nicely done) were made in division of labour by different workshops delivering the parts, so it doesn't matter much IMO. Wilfer could be a possibility, but without any further prove, maybe a signed label bearing this sign, it can be only speculation.