Maestronet Forums

Identification (old) Violin

Stephan

Hi all,

I'm helping a family member for identifying the following violin.

No plans to sell it, but definitely interested in its origins, depending on the elements that can be identified.

Body length 36cm (button not included), which is slightly taller than the average violins. Bridge has been replaced, so it's no longer the original.

Not much left of the label inside, just the first letters of the two lines.

Any ideas, suggestions? Factory made or hand made?

Back1.JPG

Back2.JPG

Back3.JPG

Back4.JPG

C-bout1.JPG

C-bout2.JPG

C-bout3.png

C-bout4.JPG

C-bout5.JPG

C-bout6.JPG

aFront1.JPG

aFront2.JPG

Label1.JPG

Label2.JPG

Label3.JPG

Label4.JPG

Pegbox1.JPG

Pegbox2.JPG

Scroll1.JPG

Scroll2.JPG

Scroll3.JPG

Scroll4.png

Side.png

Edited by Stephan

14 minutes ago, duane88 said:

Looks like the kind of fiddle that I would typically see a Schweitzer label in. Yes, they are a bit big, but usually sound good.

Yes, agree totally. @Stephan do a search on "Schweitzer" using the search box on this site, and you will find hundreds of posts about this style of violin. 

21 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

A fine example of screwdriver ageing

Thank you for the feedback.

Mentioning a fake label made me remember that I noticed how the label seems to have been erased manually rather than by accident. Maybe a person before me also identified the origins and wanted to get rid of the label.

I'm not familiar with the term "screwdriver ageing". Does it mean to manually increase the antique appearance of the instrument (with cracks for example)?

15 hours ago, Stephan said:

I'm not familiar with the term "screwdriver ageing". Does it mean to manually increase the antique appearance of the instrument (with cracks for example)?

It is unsurprising, should you nor be familiar with the term “Screwdriver ageing” since it isn’t a phrase from the Oxford dictionary, rather one I coined myself. Meant is when an instrument has been physically distressed with a blunt object to feign age, Typically the wear marks are often in places that would not naturally attract wear, sometimes to the point of caricature.