Maestronet Forums

Universal Dictionary of Violin & Bow Makers. Any help?!

Hello folks! Does any of you has the Universal Dictionary of Violin and Bow Makers by W. Henley? I find it a great source of information for what I've understood, but unfortunately it's out of print and not easy to find. Perhaps would be a great idea to make it an online or pdf version. If some of you has it, would you mind checking any informations about the following Italian makers: Pierluigi Galetti, Aldo Conti and Mario Bandini? Any helpful information is highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

There are no entries under any of those names in Henley.

It looks like they are more recent makers - Henley died in 1957.  However, a quick internet search throws up information and/or examples of the work of all three on Tarisio, Bromptons and other sites.

Posted (edited)
On 3/14/2021 at 12:35 PM, Bob K said:

There are no entries under any of those names in Henley.

It looks like they are more recent makers - Henley died in 1957.  However, a quick internet search throws up information and/or examples of the work of all three on Tarisio, Bromptons and other sites.

Thank you Bob! I saw something about Mario Bandini on Tarisio, but have't found much on his bio or work. Most of the info I found where about double basses. And it seems it has been mostly making actually cellos (and double bass for about 10/15 years)

Edited by ThePersian
  • 2 weeks later...

My apologies for not reading the earlier part of this thread, but I saw the headline and dove in on an impulse, only to throw in the question; WHO knows much of anything about Ladislav Kaplan? that is, aside from the rosin formula, the no wolf-tone e-string, his Early 20th century violin maker status (known more for the few superior violas than for the violins that he made by hand).  Just curious. I haven't stopped in in many years, and I'm aware this is anot an "Auction Scroll"- worthy question. Still I am just 'takin' a shot' as they say at the racetrack.