Maestronet Forums

Oh! Thanks for the offer, but really, I couldn't. So nice of you to offer though.

I can play Happy Birthday for you though! I'm learning the kalimba...

27 minutes ago, Rue said:

Oh! Thanks for the offer, but really, I couldn't. So nice of you to offer though.

I can play Happy Birthday for you though! I'm learning the kalimba...

A kalimba is just a fancy object for combing your hair.

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2021 at 2:25 PM, violinsRus said:

where is @BassClef?  this little gem should join his collection!

Cheers! I've been away from fractional collecting for a bit now. Much appreciated. Reminded me a bit of this one that's been for sale for years now:

https://vintage-instruments.com/shop/historical/violins-violas-folk-fiddles/german-violin-c-1850/

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 8.35.18 AM.png

6 minutes ago, BassClef said:

Cheers! I've been away from fractional collecting for a bit now. Much appreciated. Reminded me a bit of this one that's been for sale for years now:

https://vintage-instruments.com/shop/historical/violins-violas-folk-fiddles/german-violin-c-1850/

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 8.35.18 AM.png

Have you bought anything from them before? They have a few interesting things but I have found contact with them to be quite awkward.

3 hours ago, Shelbow said:

Have you bought anything from them before? They have a few interesting things but I have found contact with them to be quite awkward.

Vintage Instruments is run by Fred Oster, whom I have known for decades. He is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about all kinds of string instruments. He was the main musical instrument appraiser for Christies when they had musical instrument auctions, and he is currently an appraiser for "Antiques Roadshow." 

I am not sure what you mean by "awkward," but all my dealings with Vintage Instruments have been very positive.

8 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

Vintage Instruments is run by Fred Oster, whom I have known for decades. He is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about all kinds of string instruments. He was the main musical instrument appraiser for Christies when they had musical instrument auctions, and he is currently an appraiser for "Antiques Roadshow." 

I am not sure what you mean by "awkward," but all my dealings with Vintage Instruments have been very positive.

Just that I sent an email about an instrument without pictures and they said they would send some pictures but that didn't occur. I then asked again a month or so later as there were still no pictures up and then they said that they had no other pictures other than the ones online. Miraculously the pictures then appeared online where they had not been any before on that same day!

It was just an awkward conversation that left me a bit confused. I then asked about the shipping cost to the UK and got no response. At that point I decided that it was probably best not to pursue it any further.

I have no negative comments other than it was an odd interaction. 

1 minute ago, Shelbow said:

Just that I sent an email about an instrument without pictures and they said they would send some pictures but that didn't occur.

Was it about a violin? 

They totally re-did their website last year or in 2019, and many of the instruments did not have pictures.

There is a separate website here for bowed instruments, but I think much or all the inventory is in-common with the main site:

http://www.osterviolins.com

18 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

Was it about a violin? 

They totally re-did their website last year or in 2019, and many of the instruments did not have pictures.

There is a separate website here for bowed instruments, but I think much or all the inventory is in-common with the main site:

http://www.osterviolins.com

Yes it was about a violin.

What I mean was that no pictures were provided on the website and they said they would email me some. The never sent any photos and I didn't chase them up for a while because I was quite busy. So a month or so later I checked their website and still no pictures. I then sent another email and they replied (two days later) that they didn't have anymore pictures other than the ones on their website. But I had already checked their site when I sent the email and there were no pictures up at that point 100%.

It was just an oddly worded email because it was almost implying that the pictures had already been up for a long time (which they definitely weren't). And regardless of that they said they would send me some which they never did.

Anyhow after their last email I responded to them 11 minutes later thanking them for showing me that the pictures were now online, and I simply asked what the shipping cost would be to the UK and got no response!

I just assumed they weren't interested in shipping to the UK so I let it be. For me it was just a red flag experience, but to be fair I didn't really chase it up so perhaps they thought I was a time waster.

I have the whole email correspondence saved still.

No hard feelings on my side, it is what it is.

I'm still interested in the violin, but I will think it over and get a friend in the US to buy it on my behalf if I do decided to proceed. Their Add to cart function also seems to block IP's from the UK as well for some reason. It's all a bit odd.

15 minutes ago, Ed Shillitoe said:

I tried dealing with them once.  They had a nice old bass bow on their site - I asked if I could try it out and they said no.

Good to know it's not just me then.........

3 hours ago, Ed Shillitoe said:

I tried dealing with them once.  They had a nice old bass bow on their site - I asked if I could try it out and they said no.

There may be reasons and policies that don't allow trials. For example, some instruments on consignment may not be allowed out for trials.

On 4/24/2021 at 12:45 PM, Rue said:

To be fair, I don't blame a store for not permitting try-outs.

I realize it's not what the consumer wants.

Going by that criterion, "the consumer" seems to want eBay and Amazon more than try-outs.........  :rolleyes::lol:

You still got that champagne ready?  :D

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

Going by that criterion, "the consumer" seems to want eBay and Amazon more than try-outs.........  :rolleyes::lol:

ummmmmm, I see a big difference between a one-off item like an instrument and a tube of skin lotion. 
As I said, I understand a reluctance to mail product on trial, and I applaud those who are willing to do so, but in-person two week trials should be part of any shop’s policy.

11 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Have you worked out why your friend Jay closed his shop yet?:)

I thought it was because he had gotten tired of dealing with the riffraff, but I never inquired further.

I doubt it has anything to do with whether or not he offered two week trials of instruments

• 4 weeks later...