Maestronet Forums

Belly vs Back Arching Asymmetry

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter. To me confusing mean "lacking logical order or sense" So it must be not logical for them how read my site and what I have tried to explained.

That's what I feel since no questions ever became asked or any one say this is not correct.

18 minutes ago, reguz said:

Since it has been vet important or some people following the thread if I ever made some instrument. Her just a picture on what is on the table.

violas under construction.docx 334.29 kB · 7 downloads

On whose table, and under construction by whom?

Have you considered becoming a politician? "Baffle 'em with bullchit" works quite well in that domain.

15 hours ago, Peter K-G said:

There is always a first time, for everything.....

I never thought I would ask David B (from A-A)

I give up and I can nor figure this out - i loose ....

Peter, the reason you can't figure it out, as I'm sure you know is because it doesn't make sense. It is like Pyramidology. Imaginary pattern recognition.

In theory a pyramid shaped violin should be strong and help guard agaist the top bowing if that is left flat and thicker.

You then end up with four straightish  panels which will be need to be tuned to each other. Two side panels and top and bottom ones.

The straight lines which intersect the four panels will tend to disrupt vibrations. Is this a good thing or bad ? Its like two bass panels and two treble panels. Where does the sound post go ? Does it have a bass bar ?

10 minutes ago, Delabo said:

In theory a pyramid shaped violin should be strong and help guard agaist the top bowing...

Yes, I have said many times that the most structurally solid arrangement is using all straight lines.  However, the only way to get vibration energy into the structure is with some amount of deflection.  Panels don't vibrate of their own free will... their vibration modes need to be coupled to the bridge movement.  And making a structure as efficiently stiff as possible removes that coupling.

Everything is a balance.

36 minutes ago, Don Noon said:

Yes, I have said many times that the most structurally solid arrangement is using all straight lines.  However, the only way to get vibration energy into the structure is with some amount of deflection.  Panels don't vibrate of their own free will... their vibration modes need to be coupled to the bridge movement.  And making a structure as efficiently stiff as possible removes that coupling.

Everything is a balance.

So Amati got it right first time 400 hundred years ago. And made it an object of great beauty as well.

37 minutes ago, Don Noon said:

Everything is a balance.

A speaker cone is an example. It doesn't work without having a flexible edge mounting.

59 minutes ago, Marty Kasprzyk said:

A speaker cone is an example. It doesn't work without having a flexible edge mounting.

I have an old gramaphone from the '40s ... no electrical, just physical...the speaker cone is a hard mounted pyramidal inflexible wood box. The bottom of about 12"x12"  is fully open in vertical plane at the cabinet front. The only volume control is the opening & closing of the cabinet doors... works amazingly well!

3 hours ago, sospiri said:

Peter, the reason you can't figure it out, as I'm sure you know is because it doesn't make sense. It is like Pyramidology. Imaginary pattern recognition.

I actually understand Robert's model. What I can't figure out is his response to all attempts of communication, which is repeating the same model over and over again.

The rest was to mess a little bit with David B. There were two of them online (bad joke I admit)

1 hour ago, Peter K-G said:

I actually understand Robert's model. What I can't figure out is his response to all attempts of communication, which is repeating the same model over and over again.

The rest was to mess a little bit with David B. There were two of them online (bad joke I admit)

I assert that I am the genuine David B, and not some imposter from some cushy retirement community in California. :)

However, I did spend a day or three in jail in Santa Barbara during my return to Seattle, after interviewing at the Weisshaar shop. In those days, long hair on a male could get one into serious trouble.

On 4/3/2021 at 5:01 PM, reguz said:

Since it has been vet important or some people following the thread if I ever made some instrument. Her just a picture on what is on the table.

violas under construction.docx 334.29 kB · 34 downloads

What I find strange about this photo is that the instruments on your table are violas, which is a bit surprising since you always speak only about violins.

Also, from what I can see they are very clean and professionally made trade instruments, not the sort of thing you would expect from a self-taught acoustician or scientist.

Dear Martin, You could earlier see a photo of a viola in the chamber for holograph investigation. All the violas have exact equal arching shape. They are thickness graduated different holding equal mode 2 and 5. due to wood quality.

I do equal with my violin plates. I do so because I like to learn how  a violin structure can function and be made. That's what my research is about. Just for your information. I'm an amateur maker.

I realized something. It's like in school.

If I would take all the questions and set them up as a numbered test and look up the answers on Robert's site I would get full score.

Did this many times in school, just figure out what answers the teacher want (preferably as exact as possibly from his black board notes) 

:rolleyes:

We have finally reached a kind of saturation point in this thread where it begins to get very creative and fun.  It’s about time. Carry on!

little known secret, David Burgess is actually an Australian who has been masquerading as a Michigander all these years.

2 hours ago, violins88 said:

We have finally reached a kind of saturation point in this thread where it begins to get very creative and fun.  It’s about time. Carry on!

little known secret, David Burgess is actually an Australian who has been masquerading as a Michigander all these years.

That's why my posts are so often out of context. It takes a long time for them to travel from Australia. ;)

2 hours ago, David Burgess said:

That's why my posts are so often out of context. It takes a long time for them to travel from Australia. ;)

Hi David,

I'm still thinking about reference points for measuring up and down plate arch deformation.  If you took a violin from Michigan to places in the Southern Hemisphere like Australia is the top plate now on the bottom with all the deformation directions reversed?

6 hours ago, Peter K-G said:

I realized something. It's like in school.

If I would take all the questions and set them up as a numbered test and look up the answers on Robert's site I would get full score.

Did this many times in school, just figure out what answers the teacher want (preferably as exact as possibly from his black board notes) 

:rolleyes:

I was not very good at that game. I was always asking too many questions.