Maestronet Forums

Good and large LA violin shops

PhilipKT

21 hours ago, Just Sayin’ said:

Personally I wouldn’t leave any bows at Benning’s for re-hairing. They farm that out.

Jeff Muller on Pico near Bundy certainly does the best job at rehairs & I’ve pretty much tried them all. He is ultra fastidious and absolutely understands bows. Additionally he will take the time to deepen your understanding. Also a multi-generational luthier.

That's the Angeles violin shop I mentioned.  True dat: I go to Muller for all my bow rehairs - fantastic job, and for LA, a very reasonable price.  So reasonable, I usually leave him a tip, at Xmas. So many people came out of the shop at  Weisshar...

@joerobson Funny! I thought you might have meant Morey's - for an all around music store, they had some impressive "professional" violins, too, and an on-call luthier who is there a few days/week, IIRC.

@PhilipKT Cauer is most certainly alive. When I ran into a problem, he was incredibly helpful to me - literally spent hours of time suggesting a strategy and was very generous beneath that gruff German exterior. I see him (saw him, in the "before" times) at NAMM. I need to go to his shop more often...

On 3/7/2021 at 6:20 PM, Just Sayin’ said:

Personally I wouldn’t leave any bows at Benning’s for re-hairing. They farm that out.

Jeff Muller on Pico near Bundy certainly does the best job at rehairs & I’ve pretty much tried them all. He is ultra fastidious and absolutely understands bows. Additionally he will take the time to deepen your understanding. Also a multi-generational luthier.

I've only interacted with Jeff Muller a couple of times, but my impression each time was that he was very much "on the ball".

Lots of good people came out of the Weisshaar shop, and I still don't exactly understand why. Maybe there was some ideal mix of "Do it this way because that's how it's done", and "Try it and see what happens", which could vary from day to day.

On 3/8/2021 at 3:33 PM, l33tplaya said:

@PhilipKT Cauer is most certainly alive. When I ran into a problem, he was incredibly helpful to me - literally spent hours of time suggesting a strategy and was very generous beneath that gruff German exterior. I see him (saw him, in the "before" times) at NAMM. I need to go to his shop more often...

Robert Cauer, being German, will need to default to acting formal/technical. ;)

But if you bring him a batch of home-made cookies, you are likely to see a very different side, his delightful "little kid" side. :)

1 hour ago, l33tplaya said:

That's the Angeles violin shop I mentioned.  True dat: I go to Muller for all my bow rehairs - fantastic job, and for LA, a very reasonable price.  So reasonable, I usually leave him a tip, at Xmas. So many people came out of the shop at  Weisshar...

@joerobson Funny! I thought you might have meant Morey's - for an all around music store, they had some impressive "professional" violins, too, and an on-call luthier who is there a few days/week, IIRC.

Well I hope he sees this note, Maybe I remember the story incorrectly but he did tell me that somebody had the books, and that somebody was in Seattle, and he gave me his number, and I called him and bought a book from him.

17 hours ago, l33tplaya said:

Yes Gerrit Maurer.  He's good.

On 3/8/2021 at 1:05 PM, David Burgess said:

I've only interacted with Jeff Muller a couple of times, but my impression each time was that he was very much "on the ball".

Ditto to that. Extremely high-quality work all around and very knowledgeable. His father was also a luthier I believe.

Only place I would feel comfortable leaving expensive bows for re-hair or repair. Basically nothing gets by him, quite astute. Fine minimalist (undetectable) repairs of instruments as well. 

Worth a stop-by when you're in Los Angeles. Old-school.

3 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

There have been a lot of recommendations so far, but I'm wondering if these places even stock student grade cellos, as this was the OP question.
Seems it's turned into the best LA shop, which is fine, but not so useful if there is nothing the child can afford.

I believe Metzler has a wide range of things, including more affordable stuff.

But its not clear what this kids level is or his purchasing power (it's Texas). If hes looking at something at the pro level, they should also hit Bennibg.

4 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

There have been a lot of recommendations so far, but I'm wondering if these places even stock student grade cellos, as this was the OP question.
Seems it's turned into the best LA shop, which is fine, but not so useful if there is nothing the child can afford.

On 3/4/2021 at 6:15 PM, PhilipKT said:

Just finished a lesson with a dear young lad with a wretched Chinese instrument. I’d like him to upgrade. 

Anyway, I told him to check out the LA violin shops, looking for good cellos.  LA is not small but I wanted to ask for some recs for a large and good shop that might be reasonably well stocked with interesting stuff?

Sorry, but PhilipKT, the OP, did not mention "student grade cellos."  He said "good cellos" and "interesting stuff" that is an "upgrade."

Metzler's, LAviolin Shop, and yes, even Weisshaars, fits the bill and all carry a wide range of instruments of a wide price range.  LAViolin Shop has student grade instruments for sure and also carries some interesting higher quality instruments as well.

I do not know if Jeff Muller carries an inventory of instruments that he himself did not make, but yes....He is the bow rehair master and his instruments are great.

On 3/5/2021 at 2:15 AM, PhilipKT said:

Just finished a lesson with a dear young lad with a wretched Chinese instrument. I’d like him to upgrade.

1 hour ago, deans said:

But its not clear what this kids level is or his purchasing power (it's Texas). If hes looking at something at the pro level, they should also hit Bennibg.

I’ not sure anyone upgraded from what is described as a wretched Chinese cello, to a pro level cello in one step, but I will admit that I do not know how well a newspaper delivery round pays in Texas.

55 minutes ago, violinnewb said:

Sorry, but PhilipKT, the OP, did not mention "student grade cellos."  He said "good cellos" and "interesting stuff" that is an "upgrade."

Metzler's, LAviolin Shop, and yes, even Weisshaars, fits the bill and all carry a wide range of instruments of a wide price range.  LAViolin Shop has student grade instruments for sure and also carries some interesting higher quality instruments as well.

Good to know, thank you.

39 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

to a pro level cello in one step

Yes some violin shops (and teachers) want you to make many incremental steps in instruments as you progress. But there is no law against getting a quality instrument early. Of course I know nothing of these people, it could be a  mistake to overspend, hopefully Phillip is using good judgement in advising them.

59 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

I’ not sure anyone upgraded from what is described as a wretched Chinese cello, to a pro level cello in one step, but I will admit that I do not know how well a newspaper delivery round pays in Texas.

Good to know, thank you.

Well, Im not sure what one considers “student” instruments. I think Jay Haide are excellent instruments, and if this lad acquired one I’d never complain. His current instrument is Chinese, but not great. I was thinking he might find something good and interesting in one of the larger LA shops. There’s very little around here, unless one is extremely lucky. The nicest student instruments locally are older upper level Stohrs, the occasional Morelli or similar, and one of my students has a lovely old Dutzenarbeit.

I love WH Lee instruments, but there are very few down here, and they are all spoken for.

7 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

I think Jay Haide are excellent instruments, and if this lad acquired one I’d never complain.

I believe some of those shops might carry them, or just have Ifshin send you one.

4 minutes ago, deans said:

I believe some of those shops might carry them, or just have Ifshin send you one.

Oh, absolutely, that’s always the fallback. I have never heard one I disliked,although I actually don’t really care for the setup. The sound seems to be rather thin and bright. But they are very stable very consistent and very attractive.

My wife and I got the second vaccine shot this morning, and if I don’t have an adverse reaction to it I’m going to see the lad today and we will be able to talk about what he might have seen while he was away.