Maestronet Forums

I need help

48 minutes ago, Delabo said:

You are the master of understatement.

Just your own  little state of Texas is 2.8 bigger than the whole of the UK !

I am always amazed how Americans talk about different states as if they were neighbors just next door. Each state is bigger than a lot of countries.

California alone ranks #5 in the world for GDP.  Many fine luthiers here too!

7 hours ago, Delabo said:

You are the master of understatement.

Just your own  little state of Texas is 2.8 bigger than the whole of the UK !

I am always amazed how Americans talk about different states as if they were neighbors just next door. Each state is bigger than a lot of countries.

I have always been astounded that such a tiny little country as England, was able to literally conquer the whole known world.

11 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

I have always been astounded that such a tiny little country as England, was able to literally conquer the whole known world.

We learned it from the Celts and the Romans and the Angles and the Saxons and the Franks and the Normans who were really Norsemen, etc etc

Then we exported it to America.

2 hours ago, sospiri said:

We learned it from the Celts and the Romans and the Angles and the Saxons and the Franks and the Normans who were really Norsemen, etc etc

Then we exported it to America.

Factually the Spanish, the Portuguese, the Dutch and the French conquered the world, in other words the fckng EU. The Brits just took it when they were tired of owning the world. Even Manhattan was called "New Amsterdam" in the beginning.

2 hours ago, Blank face said:

Factually the Spanish, the Portuguese, the Dutch and the French conquered the world, in other words the fckng EU. The Brits just took it when they were tired of owning the world. Even Manhattan was called "New Amsterdam" in the beginning.

History was my worst subject at school. I didn't have much interest in learning about kings and queens and wars. I don't think the other kids did either.

Sometimes the teacher would get very excited about something and we would listen to the story for a few minutes, even if we knew it might not be true. Useless information really.

41 minutes ago, sospiri said:

History was my worst subject at school. I didn't have much interest in learning about kings and queens and wars. I don't think the other kids did either.

Sometimes the teacher would get very excited about something and we would listen to the story for a few minutes, even if we knew it might not be true. Useless information really.

17 minutes ago, sospiri said:

Maybe. But "Columbus discovered America"

And stuff like that, is just silly.

Yup, there's some historical precedents for your attitude.  :rolleyes:  :lol:

4 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

Yikes, I'm glad we didn't have teachers like that. That's just wrong.

I think she meant 2/5ths of the Land surface was British.

God Save the Queen.

Just now, jacobsaunders said:

Columbus didn’t discover America, he got lost on his way to India

True, but it was all the more fortunate that he managed to find his way to the West Indies instead. That was a stroke of luck.

Conquering and owning the world can be a bit exhaustive in the long run, with all the annoying collateral work like slaughtering, torturing, raping, extincting and last but not least enslaving so many people.

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

“The pink bits.” That made me laugh, as did “you ungrateful little twerps.” Can’t get away with it today! All the twerps would sue you!

Seems like a great movie though. Probably made by an American...

Meanwhile, history… Technically, if you don’t know your past you… Well, if you don’t know your past I guess you don’t know your past. But knowing your past is fun. And Columbus did not discover America, he just got all the press.

43 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Conquering and owning the world can be a bit exhaustive in the long run, with all the annoying collateral work like slaughtering, toturing, raping, extincting and last but not least enslaving so many people.

It’s a tough job, but somebody’s got to do it…

I keep wondering, under our current developing ideal of fairness, how much further back in history we should go to right past wrongs (real and perceived)?

...and who should take what back with them? :rolleyes:

Edited by Rue
...unnecessary words...

3 hours ago, Blank face said:

Conquering and owning the world can be a bit exhaustive in the long run, with all the annoying collateral work like slaughtering, toturing, raping, extincting and last but not least enslaving so many people.

But the career opportunities...

3 hours ago, Rue said:

I keep wondering, under our current developing ideal of fairness, how much further back in history we should to go to right past wrongs (real and perceived)?

...and who should take what back with them? :rolleyes:

I don't care. I just wanna find some of the Knights Templar treasure. 

There must be some around here. Near me there were 3 Knights Templar Preceptories.

I wonder what they did in them? It seems to me they believed they were the true chosen ones. It's not really a romantic story. They were hated and feared for good reason. Not that the alternative was any better.  

Watcha gonna do if you find Templar treasure? 

Wear it? Sell it? 

And...do you have any right to it? Who does it "really" belong to? Don't you have to return it to the original family? Or...are you the only heir?

I'm thinking Catherine the Great might owe me something...not sure what, but something, unless what I'm owed is pre-owed to someone else. Or maybe I'm thinking Stalin owes me something? It's all so confusing...