violin 2021, after GdG Plowden 1735

I like it a lot! I'm only a player, so don't take this too seriously. The only criticism I have is I find that the "island" of varnish damage in the centre of the back looks a bit too pale and new to me in comparison to the rest. It almost looks like the neck.

Hi Kohi,

just had a look at the pictures. Nice work.

Suppose you are seeking some feedback on this like good and bad points.

Lets start with the bad points because there are more... (just kidding)

Ok, the good points are a good overall impression, the model, surface, varnish.

On the details there are a few things I would improve for the next Plowden model

What strikes me most is that the position of the f-holes doesn’t have the 'plowden taste'. with a quick compare to the pictures in the Biddulph book it seems that they are a bit too far from the edge. (Did you try to correct the stop length? 

Yeah, and the contrast between varnish and ground is a bit too stark. This makes the scratches in that zone stick out too much as well. 

One minor thing, i would have cheated a bit more on the tilt of the flames on the back. Maybe you were concerned about the grain direction. However for sound or anything like that a few degrees off the center line don' thave any effect.

I like the scroll for its overall impression best. Judging from the pictures it has a nice Guarneri flavor.

Keep going!

On 3/2/2021 at 9:09 AM, baroquecello said:

I like it a lot! I'm only a player, so don't take this too seriously. The only criticism I have is I find that the "island" of varnish damage in the centre of the back looks a bit too pale and new to me in comparison to the rest. It almost looks like the neck.

Hello, thank for opinion! I agree the antiquing can be very tricky and what I like one day is tommorow too much:-). For next instrument I will be more gentle :-)

On 3/4/2021 at 2:52 AM, Andreas Preuss said:

Hi Kohi,

just had a look at the pictures. Nice work.

Suppose you are seeking some feedback on this like good and bad points.

Lets start with the bad points because there are more... (just kidding)

Ok, the good points are a good overall impression, the model, surface, varnish.

On the details there are a few things I would improve for the next Plowden model

What strikes me most is that the position of the f-holes doesn’t have the 'plowden taste'. with a quick compare to the pictures in the Biddulph book it seems that they are a bit too far from the edge. (Did you try to correct the stop length? 

Yeah, and the contrast between varnish and ground is a bit too stark. This makes the scratches in that zone stick out too much as well. 

One minor thing, i would have cheated a bit more on the tilt of the flames on the back. Maybe you were concerned about the grain direction. However for sound or anything like that a few degrees off the center line don' thave any effect.

I like the scroll for its overall impression best. Judging from the pictures it has a nice Guarneri flavor.

Keep going!

Hello Andreas,

thanks a lot for your reply-its always good to hear how people like you see and think about instruments. It push me forevard !

You are right about effholes - I " inflate" the model from original measurement 351 to modern 355 mm . after checking effholes position I decide 

to move them 1 mm down. On my defence I have to say the effholes has correct distance from the edges, on the top  and also lower holes ( in ratio ). I surely know the only measurements are

not definitely right way ( parts/objects must be in right balance, not just measurement ). For Plowden is relatively easy to get large portfolio photos and info, the effholes position is well described by S.Zygmuntowicz.  In the result I am able to announce this effholes are not on the position as original and hope the next time will be better :-). 

The contrast between warnish and ground is stark, therefore I made thicker warnish than original and the contrast looks bigger. Always when I m antiquing instruments I testing new ways and materials and result can be more than I expected on the start :-). As classic say - hic sunt leones :-).

Thanks for scroll like, its not easy to get right feeling if you have no chance to check original nor you have no scroll duplicate. Do you have any advice where I have a chance to get scroll duplicates ? Unfortunately I have no good friend with GdG or Strad in his stock to make it myself :-)...

All the best ,

Jaroslav