2 hours ago, David Burgess said:

When I was working alongside Johannes Finkel, I witnessed him gluing all sorts of stuff, with the outcomes being largely invisible.

Do you think he would have left something like this visible on one of his stamped bows?

In photo one there is quite a bit of runout ,In the fourth photo  in looks like the crack or whatever starts in the area which looks like the remains of a knot. (it is visible to me but not so much when enlarged). Remains of knots on pernambuco are usually like a halo of highly reflective wood and look very attractive as long as they arent causing problems,which in this case something has or is happening hence that dark crack line.

Another suggestion is the maker may have circled the knot with a pen or pencil and what your seeing is pencil or pen covered by french polish( wacky but plausible.

The colour of the area between the crack mark in photo 1 and the area of runout in photo 1 is lighter and looks unusual.

In photo4 the colour looks all even. Highly difficult to tell whats really going on from photos.

85FEEF74-7D8C-4A65-A556-AFF32FFACDC3.thumb.jpeg.fc6fe5260a79c0ec777e3521089e5522.jpeg

CE33C770-4E28-4627-B269-D57E5256B633.thumb.jpeg.17c0a19ae22a5b79d87294cbd2f7940c.jpeg

6 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Do you think he would have left something like this visible on one of his stamped bows?

I take your point completely Martin, but unless you’re really looking for it it’s really hard to see. It does seem to be a lift, it doesn’t go all the way through the stick, But it does go I guess 30%? And it’s only about an inch and a half long. I like it very much it feels very different from my French bows, So I expect to keep it as a teaching tool, but I do wish it were undamaged. It’s a really nice bow.

6 minutes ago, fiddlecollector said:

In photo one there is quite a bit of runout ,In the fourth photo  in looks like the crack or whatever starts in the area which looks like the remains of a knot. (it is visible to me but not so much when enlarged). Remains of knots on pernambuco are usually like a halo of highly reflective wood and look very attractive as long as they arent causing problems,which in this case something has or is happening hence that dark crack line.

Another suggestion is the maker may have circled the knot with a pen or pencil and what your seeing is pencil or pen covered by french polish( wacky but plausible.

The colour of the area between the crack mark in photo 1 and the area of runout in photo 1 is lighter and looks unusual.

In photo4 the colour looks all even. Highly difficult to tell whats really going on from photos.

85FEEF74-7D8C-4A65-A556-AFF32FFACDC3.thumb.jpeg.fc6fe5260a79c0ec777e3521089e5522.jpeg

CE33C770-4E28-4627-B269-D57E5256B633.thumb.jpeg.17c0a19ae22a5b79d87294cbd2f7940c.jpeg

I took a couple of additional photos and manipulated want to try and make it more clear. I wish I could show you guys in person, but it really seems to be as stable as a crack ever was.

06C3255C-0B14-4209-9F19-931BB3E8FFCA.jpeg

B0A7D8ED-6213-4DEE-80B2-952C37EF44BB.jpeg

6 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

I take your point completely Martin, but unless you’re really looking for it it’s really hard to see. It does seem to be a lift, it doesn’t go all the way through the stick, But it does go I guess 30%? And it’s only about an inch and a half long. I like it very much it feels very different from my French bows, So I expect to keep it as a teaching tool, but I do wish it were undamaged. It’s a really nice bow.

Yes, but if you saw this on a fine bow, or it was revealed to you by a shop, would you pay full price for the bow, or would you be wary?

I don't quite get nearly 2 pages of is it or isn't it. It's a crack, and regardless how it happened, heating and trying to bend that stick would be a mistake. It is a crack.

In you last photo to me it definitely looks like remains of a knot and a fissure originating from it causing a lift ,probably whilst cambering it or later.In the upper part of the last photo you can see the straight part of the crack/lift  following the grain. The knot will be like  a halo with the centre the same colour as the outside of the halo.

2 hours ago, fiddlecollector said:

In you last photo to me it definitely looks like remains of a knot and a fissure originating from it causing a lift ,probably whilst cambering it or later.In the upper part of the last photo you can see the straight part of the crack/lift  following the grain. The knot will be like  a halo with the centre the same colour as the outside of the halo.

Do you think it needs any repair, or best left alone?

and to @Duane88 yes if someone offered that to me I’d only be interested with a hefty discount, but I wouldn’t necessarily reject it totally.

6 hours ago, fiddlecollector said:

Left alone ,as i dont think you can practically do much with it. Ive seen areas like this patched but they arent usually worth the trouble or expense.

Thank you, that is my feeling as well. I really appreciate everyone’s help.

it’s a great playing bow, and if this is typical of Finkel, I should have bought one long ago.