Maestronet Forums

Zdenka Cerny - Greatest Bohemian Cellist

Rue

Didn't mean anything about your legacy, which I'm sure will be fine, but just to say I don't automatically do better than females because I'm male.  lol.  She had better opportunities than plenty of males had.  If things hadn't been exactly the way they were, there wouldn't even be a Fanny Mendelssohn. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

Didn't mean anything about your legacy, which I'm sure will be fine, but just to say I don't automatically do better than females because I'm male.  lol.  She had better opportunities than plenty of males had.  If things hadn't been exactly the way they were, there wouldn't even be a Fanny Mendelssohn. 

So... I'm not sure if you just haven't had this aspect of privilege explained to you or if you just don't buy into the idea:

The idea of male privilege does NOT mean that men can't and don't have it harder than women.  It means that given two people in the same circumstances, male and female, the male holds privilege.  Fanny Mendelssohn was immensely privileged as a rich girl, but not as privileged as her brother as a rich boy.  That's all. 

That's why she and Nannerl are good case studies, they both have talented younger brothers. Twins would be better, obviously, but we got what we got.

Women as professional performers (the original topic) is a well-studied issue.  In some places and times it's more taboo than others.

17 hours ago, sospiri said:

Clara Schumann wasn't so oppresed was she?

Hubby, not so lucky. Oppressed by health problems. 

Well, bearing eight children while dealing with a husband in mental decline would certainly pose its challenges....

As the truly great violinist Camilla Wicks noted, “I don’t think the difficulty of having a career, marrying, and raising children will ever be solved. I didn’t dare tell management when I was pregnant. It was so hard. I wore special dresses and learned how to walk so I didn’t look pregnant.” (One of her children had significant special needs, and it sounds like her husband, whom she eventually divorced, was, well, "traditional" in his domestic perspective.) Her obit is definitely worth a read.

3 hours ago, crazy jane said:

Well, bearing eight children while dealing with a husband in mental decline would certainly pose its challenges....

As the truly great violinist Camilla Wicks noted, “I don’t think the difficulty of having a career, marrying, and raising children will ever be solved. I didn’t dare tell management when I was pregnant. It was so hard. I wore special dresses and learned how to walk so I didn’t look pregnant.” (One of her children had significant special needs, and it sounds like her husband, whom she eventually divorced, was, well, "traditional" in his domestic perspective.) Her obit is definitely worth a read.

Undeniable that having children is an entire career all by itself, and women who do both, whether out of necessity or by choice, are true miracle workers, even more so if they succeed at each.

3 hours ago, crazy jane said:

Hopefully the music was the easy part and kept her sane, or as sane as she could manage given her circumstances.

5 hours ago, Stephen Fine said:

The idea of male privilege does NOT mean that men can't and don't have it harder than women.  It means that given two people in the same circumstances, male and female, the male holds privilege. 

If I was "privileged" I'd never have to hear that stupid word again.

4 minutes ago, Rue said:

Having 8 kids, in an affluent household, with nannies and governesses, isn't quite as onerous as having 8 kids and no help.

Just sayin'.

I was just thinking the same thing. She wasn't a coal miner's wife.

13 hours ago, crazy jane said:

( ... _

Thank you so much for the mention. I did not realize that she had passed away.

Her recordings are to be experienced. Having met some of her students, they mentioned nothing but great things about her teaching and approach... some are even a bit emotional about the experience.