Maestronet Forums

Old bow with interesting thumb "leather"

Regina3000

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest these devices were mostly used by Suzuki (or similar class approach) teachers with large groups of small children, adhering to a more rigid instruction schedule.

There's a reason they look like little automons when they play together. ^_^

39 minutes ago, Rue said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest these devices were mostly used by Suzuki (or similar class approach) teachers with large groups of small children, adhering to a more rigid instruction schedule.

:ph34r:  :lol:

6 hours ago, The Violin Beautiful said:

Maybe it’s just the camera angle, but it looks like it should fit in the picture. To me it seems like the thumb grip is either out of place or the hair is just too long, so the frog has to be very far back in the track to achieve playing tension. 

It's always been in the place it is, currently. It has never been near the frog, except when the hair is loosened, and it can't be moved.

4 hours ago, Rue said:

Quite possible!

3 hours ago, Andrew Victor said:

I can envision player physical difficulties that might be helped by a bow outfitted thusly.

I really like it. I like it so much, in fact, that I used some Sugru to fashion another one in the thumb leather of the bow that came with the 3/4 violin I was recently given.