Old bow with interesting thumb "leather"

This bow came with a Karl Herrmann Scherl & Roth violin from 1956. Has anyone ever seen a thumb "leather" like this before? I really like it. When I recently had the bow rehaired, I asked them to preserve it. It seems to be rubber, rather than actual leather.

946907604_interestingthumbleather.thumb.jpg.81a5ac39dcc2d1752e89e7ec80ba6100.jpg

It may be on the wrong part of the bow. It would make sense for that to be on the top, and a resting place for the first finger. But it is an incorrect locating guide for the thumb, because the thumb is supposed to be on the thumb projection of the frog. Can it be rotated to sit on top of the stick?

It cannot be rotated.

My parents bought this outfit for me sometime in the eighties. Under the frog there is "GERMANY" inscribed.

I thought maybe it was something done to student bows back in the fifties. This is a Karl Herrmann violin in a Scherl and Roth outfit set up originally in 1956, according to the label inside the violin. The case is a Scherl and Roth case. While there is no guarantee that this bow was originally sold with this outfit, it may have been.

My teacher back in the eighties didn't seem to have an issue with it, and neither did the one I had 15-ish years ago.

So I'm hearing that you're supposed to put your thumb partly on the bit of the frog that sits on the stick towards the front? I've also heard that thumb leather is supposed to help protect the bow stick from the oils on your hands. I'm not sure how much the bow stick needs to be protected, either.

So confusing.

Edited by Regina3000
typo
40 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Trad fiddle players regularly hold the bow well in front of the frog - this gizmo might help achieve some stability.

Or it might be a modification to temporarily/cheaply make a 3/4 bow out of a fullsize bow ...

Interesting idea.

I have short arms for my height (which is also short). Holding this bow with my thumb in the divot, I can just about use the whole bow, straight. If I hold closer to the frog, I can't reach the tip.

Most people can sit on the floor, put their palms flat on the floor next to them, and lift their butts off the ground. My palms don't even reach the floor...

There's also a (probably more European) school teaching to put the thumb exactly on the leather, not at the frog. Therefore the name "thumb leather".B)

This way is more favoured by bow restorers, because it doesn't motivate buggers to carve away wood from the frog for a "better thumb grip".:wacko:

3 hours ago, Blank face said:

There's also a (probably more European) school teaching to put the thumb exactly on the leather, not at the frog. Therefore the name "thumb leather".B)

This way is more favoured by bow restorers, because it doesn't motivate buggers to carve away wood from the frog for a "better thumb grip".:wacko:

Indeed, :wacko:.

I don't remember being taught to hold the bow touching the frog in any way, after I graduated from thumb-on-ferrule when I was really young.