French Maker/ Vendor Label

On 3/1/2021 at 11:12 AM, sospiri said:

All of this gets me wondering.

Would Captain David Virtue wear his undies on the outside?

I thought you were referring to Bananas, Woody Allen's 1971 comedy farce, that some say predicted DT.

Loony Laws:

Esposito: From this day on, the official language of San Marcos [in Latin America] will be Swedish. Silence! In addition to that, all citizens will be required to change their underwear every half-hour. Underwear will be worn on the outside, so we can check.
Edited by l33tplaya
typo

To clarify, Dietré or Pieté are not French names, the word after that seems to me to be a long way from "Choix O" and nonsensical, and I can't think of any grammatical construction that would involve "...... au Nicolas" unless Nicolas was a place named after someone ie, "at the Nicolas" ....

Coupled with a lack of any recorded Rue Croix in Lyon (it would be "Rue de la Croix) leads me to suppose that this is not written by a French person, even the sort of amateur that would knock up a label like this.

To comment more meaningfully, it would be helpful to see the violin. A label is, after all, just a piece of paper.

Ultimately, if it plays well and you enjoy playing it, then don't worry about the rest.

Just be aware that it's not a high value instrument.

Thanks to all for your comments. Bit disappointing that the label isn’t a Vuilluame pseudonym, but oh well.  It does sound really good fortunately. I also got to expand my vocabulary. :)

I know the list of M box features are only a guide, but here’s why I thought it might be French factory:

·         The eye of the scroll is flat and somewhat pronounced

·         Peg box not blackened

·         F hole edges not blackened

·         Corners overhang, not flush

·         Color is redder than the pics, looks French (although this could be later)

·         There are blocks although I can’t tell if the linings are behind or butt up

·         The typical French diamond shaped cleats aren’t there,  but I think the back seam has been repaired with  later cleats (see pic)

·         The button to me looks like it could maybe French? Failing that a fat German one.

I’d be really interested to know what tips it as M box, the F holes, purfling, rib join? Thanks.

IMG_3439.jpg

IMG_3440.jpg

IMG_3441.jpg

IMG_3442.jpg

On 3/2/2021 at 11:14 PM, jacobsaunders said:

That's the second time I would say "the usual" this morning, I think I will go back to bed.

Looks like it has been revarnished, or somewhat souped up it that repect

I've created a graphic for you Jacob, post and save a lot of keystrokes :)

Bored (1).jpg