Sleeping with your violin...

1 minute ago, Three13 said:

I'll take that Gofriller over Philip (sorry!)...

So rude, how dare you trade our beloved Philip for a piece of wood. :P

I was going to make another joke but I'll probably get banned...

I just thought it was interesting to see what people do in unexpected emergencies (ex. freezing conditions in Texas, as opposed to expected emergencies - that have protocols in place ex. heart attack) and what priorities they set.

I'm not even 100% sure what we'd do in an extended freeze, but I  have thought about it.

We do have an used fireplace - that we could use (for heat and also to melt water and cook a hotdog in). We wouldn't freeze. But the pipes would. We've gone 7 hours without heat in the winter, and haven't needed to test drive Plan A (although we probably should), but since we have the infrastructure in place, an extended cold issue is less likely to happen.

I'd have to stuff the tortoise down my shirt though...

I have about 100 lbs of propane on hand through the winter, and an AC powerplant for such vicissitudes, although in my 54 years of living here, haven't needed to resort to this yet. The natural gas distribution system is very reliable, and the mains electricity has never been out for more than a few hours in the winter, before the power was restored.

I've never had a natural gas interruption, but have had frequent electricity interruptions, so I should probably replace my gasoline-powered generator with one powered by natural gas. Natural gas doesn't have the shelf-life issues of gasoline either.

I also usually have 20-40 pounds of propane on hand, and a propane-fed heater.

If push came to shove, I could probably keep pipes from freezing by periodically filling both bathtubs with hot water from the natural gas water heater (requires no electricity). A water heater can put out quite a bit of heat.

3 hours ago, David Burgess said:

I've never had a natural gas interruption, but have had frequent electricity interruptions, so I should probably replace my gasoline-powered generator with one powered by natural gas. Natural gas doesn't have the shelf-life issues of gasoline either.

If push came to shove, I could probably keep pipes from freezing by periodically filling both bathtubs with hot water from the natural gas water heater (requires no electricity). A water heater can put out quite a bit of heat.

This has nothing to do with extreme cold, quite the reverse.  In the catastrophic fires of late 2019 early 2020 in Australia I understand they consumed so much oxygen near the fire front that internal combustion engines would not run.  Pretty bad news for fire pumps and cars if you were hoping to out run it.

Nature has a million ways to kill us.

Tim

10 minutes ago, TimRobinson said:

... in Australia ...

Nature has a million ways to kill us.

Tim

Spiders!  Centipedes! ^_^

Speaking of nature.  I live about 30 minutes from the city.  I had to run errands at lunch.

12:30 I left and it was beautiful outside.  Sun, blue skies.  Warm; only -8 C.

1:00  Slightly overcast and grey, but still nice and warm.

1:30  Drove into a sudden mini-blizzard.  Snow was so heavy I could just barely make out the lines in the road.

1:35  Drove out of the blizzard.  Roads wet and slick. Still grey and overcast. Noticeably cooler.

2:00 Left the city and drove on a nice, dry highway with sun and blue skies.  Warm again!

...never a dull moment!

5 hours ago, Larry F said:

Quite common to go without electric here two days at a time in the winter due to power lines being knocked down by the snow.   I burn firewood in a Jotul wood stove to get us through-wood heat.  I cut a lot of box elder firewood in the spring from limbs that get knocked down over the winter so there's never any shortage of wood to burn.

I've got about 20 of my violas.  I save the pegs and strings.

On 2/24/2021 at 10:08 AM, David Burgess said:

We don't get the wet, heavy snow and accumulated ice like you do around the lakes. Our winters are quite dry; including December, January and February, we've had a total of 11mm of precipitation, less than a half inch.

Because of this, we don't have as many issues with damaged power lines.

My neighbor built a small house for he and his wife, and they used just a conventional hot water heater for in-floor radiant heating.